Most used console manufacturer

Which Manufacturer's Console do you use most?

• Total voters
I have an Innovator and it is the best desk I can afford, especially at the cheap prices they go for in the US.But that wasn't the question.

I used an Avo for a dance concert, the only cool feature was the spinning thing you can record submasters to, that was really useful - apart from that I didnt really like it.

Well, thats about the breakdown I expected. I figured there would be about twice as many ETC then strand, and a sprinkling of the others, mainly due to the fact that ETC pretty much locked up the education market 10 years ago.

...mainly due to the fact that ETC pretty much locked up the education market 10 years ago.
And do you think that's a good thing or a bad thing? Or are you commenting on the success of the Express? I'm thinking the educational market is more lucrative for a manufacturer than other markets, but have to think on that some more. Lehigh is still in business, no? Their top of the line console appears to be an Express copy.

If you get Maxxyz PC, be sure to get a wing. It might just be me, but I find it hard to do things without actual faders (controlling a fader with your mouse? weird). Two screens also helps.

The only reason I'd buy a Maxxyz pc is because they don't make Case any longer, which was my fave all time desk. And if I'm going to upgrade (because of the number of channels, Artnet, etc.) then I'd definitely buy a wing. Don't know whether they sell both programming and playback, but I agree. Hands on faders, even for mostly moving lights, is a near necessity.

I voted Strand/Horizon because I'm most familiar with it (through work at other schools), but my school's console is the dreaded Lehigh.

And do you think that's a good thing or a bad thing? Or are you commenting on the success of the Express? I'm thinking the educational market is more lucrative for a manufacturer than other markets, but have to think on that some more. Lehigh is still in business, no? Their top of the line console appears to be an Express copy.

My personal feeling is the education market was an easy sell for ETC. They made a console that looked and felt very new and inovative. They ditched the command line, and went for the little blue box. People did not want to go back to the DOS days of the command line, and the little blue box was comforting. They were also able to manufacture the consoles cheap enough that any theatre could have "computerized lighting". The express markets great in the world of education, and yes I do believe that education is the biggest market there is in entertainment. They don't spend the most money, but they are a very easy sell.

I believe the reason it took ETC a good amount of time to re-vamp their lower line was because they were riding the the success of the express too long. High schools were starting to slowly ditch their 10 year old express consoles for a hog PC or something along those lines.

ETC made a great console with the express, and it did what it needed to do. They were also able to market themselves well. Because of the saturation they recieved in the education market, they had a generation of lighting people that grew up with their consoles. Unfortunately, they released their newer consoles a bit to late and everyone was able to get a taste of a Grand MA or a HogIII... or whatever your flavor is. ETC raised that generation, now they are moving out of the house. I'm not saying the EOS and ION are/will going to be failures, I don't think they will be at all.

As well, a good portion of the board is in education where ETC reigns supreme. So therefore, it does not suprise me at all that ETC reigns supreme here. Now, run this same thing over at lightnetwork and I think you would get very different and extremely varied responses.

Last edited:
I use a Hog 500 most of the time. Has been a pretty good console so far. Before that it was an ETC Express, both sizes.

...Now, run this same thing over at lightnetwork and I think you would get very different and extremely varied responses.
Actually, this poll was inspired by what I had seen on "the other forum." The, unofficial, results there were:
#1. Jand's Vista
#2. (Tie) grandMA/Martin Maxxyz
#3 HES Hog3.

My primary venue hosts many different types of events, except theatre, all of whom can afford to buy whatever they want. The list based on what I've seen used is:
1. grandMA
2. Maxxyz
3. Hog3
4. Avo Pearl/Diamond
Vista doesn't even place. There's never been one inside my building to my knowledge.

not many people really have the vista out on shows. They work great for dance shows and track acts, along with shows that need to follow time code flawlessly.

That's surprising derekleffew. My main venue never or has yet to see a Maxxyx. I actually have yet to even see a Maxxyx in person. Most used would be:

1: Grand Ma
2: Hog 2
3: Hog 3
4: Avo of some sort

The Ma out weighs everything heavily, by like 5 or 6 to one against the Hog2. Hog2 is starting to fade since the software for Hog3 has improved by leaps and bounds and support stopped. We use to never see a Hog3 at all. I have yet to see anyone touring with a Vista, and have only seen it on shows which we take it out on.

Funny thing about Maxxyz/grandMA: both fine desks. I found an old post from a certain CB member who claimed Maxxyz was THE board, and his company didn't even own any GMAs! I suspect things have reversed somewhat. I'm speculating 40% of concerts on tour right now are using Maxxyz, 50% are using grand MAs, and the other 10% are Hog3 and Avo. (Based on what I've seen in person and read in PLSN.)

If I ever run in any sort of public election, I'll let derekleffew be my poll manager. :lol:

Anyway, I thought the Grand Ma was 'the' desk, until I sat down behind a Vista. Desks are forever evolving into better, more powerful, more user friendly tools. So there never will be 'the desk', there will just be 'the desk' of that particular span of years. Besides, who in the world is going to get all of us board ops, programmers, and LDs to decide on something together. Different strokes for different folks.

I think you need to make a poll for which console we like the most and see how that goes. It would probably change every few years as new things come out and we try different desks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back