Motor assisted fly.

Total side bar: The forum needs repository titled "Story time with Ron" and all of Ron stories can be combined for us poor soles that have to live vicariously through others while sitting at there very boring non-theatre day job.
@Aaron Clarke Would you like to order volumes one through ten, sign on for the complete series or how would you like to proceed? You keep raggin' me and I'll keep raggin' you. ;^)
Perhaps @BillConnerFASTC would care to release a companion compendium?
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

@Aaron Clarke Would you like to order volumes one through ten, sign on for the complete series or how would you like to proceed? You keep raggin' me and I'll keep raggin' you. ;^)
Perhaps @BillConnerFASTC would care to release a companion compendium?
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

I'm all for it... I'm like a little kid and get all excited when I see a long post of yours.

Last edited:
It's very unusual to see a bar-heavy motor assist.

In the UK I have built quite a few motor-assist counterweight sets, using an electric chain hoist to control the descent of an arbor-heavy set.

The idea being that you take the arbor up to the gallery, then rig a motor above it and attach the hook to arbor. Then you take the weight on the motor and release the brake (not re-applying the brake until the motor is removed). You fill the counterweight arbor to it's max load. Now the bar flies in when you run the motor up, and flies out when you run the motor down. The benefit of this is that you can hang modular sets or LED walls on the fly bar and lift it section by section without having to add more weight each time you lift it. Once the whole thing is in the air, you can then remove the motor hook and still fly it in and out like a normal bar. Then you just re-attach the hook for the load-out.

Huh! I watched a load-in of a touring show once do this, but with motors hung from the grid and affixed to the batten. Same idea, it was a modular set with lots of steel and moving parts. The part I didn't understand was they had multiple hoists across a single lineset, I couldn't see the arbor clearly, but it didn't appear as though they had added much weight to it (though I could easily be wrong) and just left it unlocked. I'm guessing they had some sort of load cell system to sync the hoists because it looked as though they intended to leave them in for the run of the show and use them to move the sets as needed. Lots of automation and computer controlled gak on the deck.

I didn't see the show, so I couldn't speak on how frequently those pieces moved (for all I know they could have been static), but it seemed as though they might move at the acts.

The only benefit I can see of attaching to the motors to the batten, is that you can use lower capacity motors to pick up a heavier load, by assisting the motors using the counterweight.

Like, when it comes to variable speed chain hoists, the ones with lower SWLs tend to be the faster ones. So if you had a piece which weighed say 2 tons... and you were using 2 hoists, you'd need to use 2x 1 ton hoists. If you could put a ton in the arbor, you could use 2x half ton hoists. That would allow you more speed because the half tonners are often faster than the 1 tonners. But if you attached a motor to the arbor, you'd still need to use 1x 1 ton hoist so your speed would still be limited to the top speed of a 1-ton motor.

Does that make sense?

The way I was talking about doing it is so that you can build it using the safety and security of a motor, but then hand control back to the flyman to run like a standard lineset

I sure don't like the set heavy approach. Would much prefer a failure resulted in load overhead going up, not down. But motor assisted should really be a two way deal, so load is always captive to a continuous loop drive of arbor. Redundancy is a good thing with overhead loads.

Hey gang- Look what I had the pleasure of walking into last night!

So question came up as I was cleaning this up and inspecting the cable for any obvious damage.

The electrical tape: Original cable in vinyl coated. The vinyl coating has come off a good portion and at sometime they wrapped the cable in E-tape as a fix. I peeled most it off last night so I could examine the wire itself for any obvious damage but it left me wondering if the E-tape would do anything to help the wire or it was just a stupid think in lieu of ever having a proper system put in?

Attachments

• 27537112_10215209829859319_935407486_o.jpg
    27537112_10215209829859319_935407486_o.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 312
Nope. Just put on to spite the next person ( you ) who has to clean the schmagma off.

Nope. Just put on to spite the next person ( you ) who has to clean the schmagma off.
It wasn't as awful as I thought it would be. I'm sure it was the cheapest stuff they could find.

Same couple of "techs" took them too high and damaged two DMX lines which was ran stupid and luckily the DMX cable was sorter than the actual power feeds. GRRR.

I'll get then to have them replaced sometime even if I have to die trying (which may be what it takes).

The vinyl covered wire rope is to me a sign of inexperience. It never lasts under loads. I discovered it over 40 years ago on a summer theatre turntable. Made sense to me but about half way through summer season it all started shredding in middle of show. Stripped it off the next day, re-tensioned, and was fine for rest of season. Research showed it was a bad application.

Good News-

A hastily arranged meeting was held with the director of productions (who charged with over seeing the fly system) and the board president. Both of which had never even taken the time to meet me despite repeated requests to chat.

Good new:
-Despite me not knowing a hill of beans about rigging compared to a professional- The quickly realized I was more familiar with it then anyone else and I'm now to the Tech chair for the fly system.
-Agreed to actually get a quote on possible remedies instead of just assuming they can't afford it. I imagine giving the current financial status we are probably looking at just converting back to a manual line set.
-A multi year plan will be developed to guide fundraising efforts for fixes (Why this isn't a standard practice across all areas is just one of the many signs of how poorly the organization has been ran)
-Finally- Until replaced they agreed to tie off the arbor when not in use. I swear it was a cruel joke to agree to this and then make me the one responsible for teaching everyone about it. I'm sure I'll get a number of calls "I pushed the down button but the pipe is not coming down".

Thank you all to the group for your input and encouragement- I hate playing politics but safety is worth it. I'll keep you up to date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back