Motor Cycle indoors?

I am doing a production of "All shook up" at a high school and the director would like to have the lead drive in on stage on a motor cycle and still have the sound of the engine, however obviously we cannot have a functioning motorcycle spouting fumes off indoors as well as it being a high school student riding it meaning they would need a license. I'm trying to think of an inexpensive way of doing this effect that is safe. the closest i can think of is rigging up an old dirt bike with an electric motor and ataching some kind of sound to it. Anyone done an effect similar to this before? open to suggestions.

I am doing a production of "All shook up" at a high school and the director would like to have the lead drive in on stage on a motor cycle and still have the sound of the engine, however obviously we cannot have a functioning motorcycle spouting off fumes indoors as well as it being a high school student riding it meaning they would need a license. I'm trying to think of an inexpensive way of doing this effect that is safe. the closest i can think of is rigging up an old dirt bike with an electric motor and attaching some kind of sound to it. Anyone done an effect similar to this before? open to suggestions.
@Bryce_Jonke I'll offer my comments but they're probably neither of much use nor what you want to hear. Back in the fall of 1990 I was one of a crew of 13 IA members touring a Canadian production of 'Buddy Holly The Musical' from Toronto where the production was mounted, through Calgary, SanFransisco and into Broadway's Shubert Theatre where I was with the production through previews and remained with it for approximately a month post it's official opening operating the lead follow spot and calling the cues for spots two and three until the local one member the local one production electrician wanted to put in my slot became available to him. (Normally our touring crew from Canada would've been replaced immediately post our official opening but I arranged with the local one member who was becoming our production Head LX to remain with the production post opening for two weeks if possible and he told me this could work if I agreed to remain with the production until the local one member he wanted to put in my position became available to him.
Here's what I can tell you about the motorcycles.
The production had seven. They began life as Honda 90 Cc's and were totally re-worked by a custom prop' shop named Singular Productions in Niagara-On-The-Lake, Ontario, Canada. The little Honda 90's were totally disguised with with custom molded fiber-glass to look like mean 'n nasty 'big-boy' bikes of the era. Within their disguises the Honda 90's remained totally intact so they could be driven in by their riders under their own power with all of their headlights, tail and brake lights working. The actual lights were replaced to look like tough-guy bikes of the era and the sounds of their tiny engines were totally masked by the prerecorded sounds of much larger single, twin and four cylinder bikes. Singular Productions fitted tiny tanks holding only enough fuel to idle and rev' the bikes outside the theatres approximately an hour before doors to keep the engines in good shape and ready to start on cue. One of our touring props pixies was a serious biker himself and kept the little Honda's purring perfectly. Mirvish Productions, our Canadian producers, had involved Honda Canada in return for program credits thus we had great support from Honda throughout our tour. Singular Productions had fitted the bikes with ignition and fuel cut-offs which would immediately kill the bikes should any of their riders fall over and / or be thrown from the bikes. The entrance of the seven bikes was dramatic with the previous scene ending in a blackout immediately accompanied by music then simultaneously the headlights of the bikes shining in from off stage left as prerecorded sounds hid the sounds of the little 90's cranking up and the cluster of seven bikes entered with a couple of them wheely-ing to a halt. Since the bikes were so light, it didn't take much for a couple of the riders to put their feet down and tilt the bikes up onto their rear wheels in the blackout. One or two of our cast members were bikers but several had never driven a motorcycle in their lives. If I'm recalling correctly, the riders with experience were the first three or four to enter and came on stage the furthest with the remainder basically having to barely roll on stage as if they'd been following behind. As the 2nd assistant LX responsible for focusing our entire FOH, operating the lead spot and calling the second and third spots, I had nothing to do with the motorcycles whatsoever and only saw them during performances or hanging in the wings between performances but I can tell you when the bikes were off stage during other scenes, four were stored horizontally in a chain below one another ready to be lowered onto their wheels from a hemp 3 to 2 block from the grid USL with the other three flown similarly from a second hemp 3 to 2 block from the grid up stage right. The hemp blocks meant the bikes could be flown SILENTLY back into storage without having the noise of a LoadStar chain hoist running during quiet scenes.
@Bryce_Jonke That's pretty much all I can tell you about the 7 motorcycles we had on our tour.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Doing some Harley corporate tours they were allowed in ballrooms to drive a bike from the back of the house to the stage, and back off once. I don't think they ever pushed to do more than that, in deference to air quality. That was, of course, a full sized Harley, being driven by a Harley executive, in a crowd full of Harley Owner's Group members. There were probably a lot fewer complaints from that crowd than most others. I'd imagine your biggest concerns would be those that @RonHebbard brought up with his props, namely the fuel cut off valves for tipping and losing the rider to keep the bike from going out of control.

Back in my hay day we refurbished a Model T from a gasser to electric.

And

Building the POTO boat out of a hoverround.

Now adays you can buy anything. You should look at an electric bicycle, maybe spruce it up to look like the motorccle you want and then just pump motorcycle noises from the soundboard.

Doing some Harley corporate tours they were allowed in ballrooms to drive a bike from the back of the house to the stage, and back off once. I don't think they ever pushed to do more than that, in deference to air quality. That was, of course, a full sized Harley, being driven by a Harley executive, in a crowd full of Harley Owner's Group members. There were probably a lot fewer complaints from that crowd than most others. I'd imagine your biggest concerns would be those that @RonHebbard brought up with his props, namely the fuel cut off valves for tipping and losing the rider to keep the bike from going out of control.
@cbrandt @Bryce_Jonke EXACTLY! On the 'Buddy Holly The Musical' tour, there were several concerns, among them:
- There were no separate musicians, all music was performed live and / or prerecorded by the cast members who played live on stage when appropriate to their characters, or live from an off-stage band room in an upstage dressing room corridor when their characters were not required in an onstage scene. Our stage deck was cantilevered out over the pits of the various venues for several reasons:
a; To bring our performers out closer to the first row of patrons.
b; To conceal the pit since it was empty other than being used for dead storage.
c; To permit extreme downstage audio floor monitors to be suspended beneath the cantilevered overhang and play up unseen through painted grille cloth supported over heavy gauge expanded metal.
- Some of our cast were experienced motorcycle owners / riders and thus comfortable riding a gas powered motorcycle on stage.
- Others of our cast members had never driven a motorcycle, had bicycle experience in their teens and knew how to balance but had zero experience on a gas powered motorcycle and could barely cope with rolling in from the SL wing where they'd been supported by a local stagehand.
- No one wanted to go to black and have the lights come up to find a cast member and / or their motorcycle in a patron's lap with the little 90 cc engine still running.
- Exhaust fumes, heat, flame, and smoke detectors were of course a concern. In Toronto the motorcycle attendants warmed the bikes and rev'd them to burn out carbon in a rear alley in the middle of downtown directly behind Toronto's Royal Alexandra approximately an hour before doors before topping the tiny tanks for each performance. I can't remember where they ran the bikes between performances in Calgary and SanFransisco but I definitely remember the seven motorcycles out in front of Broadway's Shubert's public entrance between matinees and evening performances with a paid hand per bike to defend the bikes against passing denizens of the neighborhood who'dve as likely driven off on one of our bikes as not. Downtown New York is populated by an interesting cross-section of humanity and that's often phrasing it politely.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Back in my hay day we refurbished a Model T from a gasser to electric.

And

Building the POTO boat out of a hoverround.

Now adays you can buy anything. You should look at an electric bicycle, maybe spruce it up to look like the motorcycle you want and then just pump motorcycle noises from the soundboard.
@Amiers When you typed: "Back in my hay day" did you mean back when you were feeding hay to the hay-burning members of your cast? Was that your hay day, your hey day, or Hey! What did you mean? While we're gabbing: What's a POTO boat? My mind initially read POTO as PTO, Power Take Off before I realized I was clearly misinterpreting.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Your best bet would be a prop motorcycle (or a real one with the fluids removed) placed on a sled that can be moved/pulled. Either by stage hands or by automation. That way you get the look of them riding it in but much safer and no fumes to worry about.
And @RonHebbard I'm pretty sure it's Phantom of the Opera.

Your best bet would be a prop motorcycle (or a real one with the fluids removed) placed on a sled that can be moved/pulled. Either by stage hands or by automation. That way you get the look of them riding it in but much safer and no fumes to worry about.
And @RonHebbard I'm pretty sure it's Phantom of the Opera.
@Morte615 Mount the motorcycle you're suggesting so its wheels rotate as it's being motivated across the deck and I suspect you've got a visual winner. Add audio, stir and blend to suit.
THANK YOU for Phantom Of The Opera. I've never worked Phantom Of The Opera but an IA brother was the IA head of sound for a production for a number of years. He had a collection of SMPTE locked digital multi-tracks for every conceivable combination of cast accounting for all possible combinations of understudies. I understand few patrons realized they were attending primarily lip-synced performances as serious operatic performers won't sing two consecutive days let alone two performances in any one day.
Thanks again for POTO.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Hay day was my theatre days.

The boat that they ride around in one of the scenes. It illudes me at the moment.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

But here’s a clip of a scene, not my boat but you get the idea.

When I did All Shook Up, we had a local harley dealership donate a bike to use for the run of the show. We asked for the smallest engine, lightest bike they made.
No one was worried about fumes as the bike only ran for about 20 seconds at absolute most, but this is professional theatre.
They however were worried the bike would get sped through the face of the people in the front 10 rows of the audience.
The solution was to actually start the bike and rev it for sound and headlight effect, but have two stagehands give a big push while the actor kicked off a stop block, getting him enough speed to roll the 20 feet out of the "garage" set piece and stop on his lighting mark with the bike's brakes.
The stagehands tested this routine every night with a stand in rider, as the equity actor only arrived at house open time.

For our production I converted an 83 Honda Shadow i found on craigslist to electric drive using a power wheel chair motor. The bike was a shaft drive so all we needed to do was machine a coupler between the wheel chair motor and the drive shaft, we did remove the real motor and built a fake motor that covered the wheelchair motor and batteries. It was easy to control on stage, no fumes, just added some sound effects and on it went.

Not sure what part of Illinois you're in, but see if there's a Zero Motorcycles dealer near you who would be willing to loan you a bike in exchange for parking one in the lobby while handing out business cards during the show's run. You'd have to pump in your own audio -- preferably with a couple of stage fills to help localize the sound -- but otherwise you'd be good to go. M

I did All Shook Up few summers ago and got hold of an old motorcycle and stripped out the engine and gears and pulled anything not needed like oil tank, gauges, etc. It turned out to be remarkably light but still kept its look, as an authentic bike. The female lead who was all of 100 lbs wet was able to push it herself on stage while seated and we used small burst of smoke and audio track. Effect was awesome and even put puck lite in the headlight. check a local bike shop for junker you could strip down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back