Motor Maintenance Mayhem!

StephIsabel

I am trying to gather documentation on the motors which power the acoustic shell in our mainstage. I did a search and the motor has not only been discontinued by the manufacturer, but has no drawings or maintenance documentation. (I can find a spec sheet which gives me the exact information on the service tag...) All I want to know is how often they need service and what they need (blow out with air, grease components, that kind of thing) so I can assess whether I can do it myself or need to hire someone who understands motors better than I. Does anybody have a general-purpose maintenance routine? Here are the specs, in case someone can help me!

Baldor VM3557T OR Reliance P14H1474 Three Phase enclosed general purpose motor 1.5HP, 1140RPM, reversible.

Thanks!

In general, any overhead lifting machinery, especially motorized, should be inspected by a qualified person annually. You're focusing on the electric motor but, depending on the design, but the other parts are more important. Like and elevator or escalator or many pieces of machinery in buildings, rigging, especially motorized, should be looked at by a trained technician at least every other year, and easier - and safer - to budget for it annually. Could be part of the inspection on the entire stage rigging system if there is more than just the shell.

Mr. Conner is correct. Other parts of the system must be inspected and in our experience, unless its been abused or there was something wrong with it when it left the factory, gearmotors typically outlive the life of the theater. Baldor (now owned by ABB) can likely hunt down some maintenance documentation for the motor and gearbox, but the complete system should be looked over.

Do you have a copy of the O&M manuals from the original rigging contractor? This will contain the information you are looking for. If you dont, the rigging installer/manufacturer should (hopefully) be able to provide you a copy of the O&M if they've been misplaced, or at least get you headed in the right direction. If no one knows who this is, you should contact an ETCP certified rigger in your area. Thats pretty far for us to take a look, but Pittsburgh Stage does good work and they are in your neck of the woods. Their number is: 412-534-4500

In general, any overhead lifting machinery, especially motorized, should be inspected by a qualified person annually. You're focusing on the electric motor but, depending on the design, but the other parts are more important. Like and elevator or escalator or many pieces of machinery in buildings, rigging, especially motorized, should be looked at by a trained technician at least every other year, and easier - and safer - to budget for it annually. Could be part of the inspection on the entire stage rigging system if there is more than just the shell.

Agreed. The components of the entire system need to be evaluated as a system as well as individually. I will add that in my observation and experience the electric motor has been the least likely point of safety failure. Either it runs or does not, or it runs only in 1 direction due to limit switch or control failures.

Baldor has been around for a long time and I'd expect that maintenance is the same for all of their motors that use the same frame. They should be able to find basic documentation for the series if not the exact motor. I would encourage the Original Poster to keep nagging the manufacturer for this info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back