Motorized Fly System

I am a middle school theatre teacher with no background in rigging. The system in my theatre just does lights. I know it is not set up right and not correctly weighted having tried it once. The district has no one to train me in its use. I am suggesting a motorized system for safety. I know some stupid 12 year old will do something to it and cause an accident. Sometimes the fear of death does not work as middle schoolers feel they are immortal. It seems that motorized is the way to go in this case. Opinions...
Get some training. Check the universities, check the local theaters, call the Stagehands Union, go to a rigging class. While these organizations are not guaranteed to know how to run a fly or your fly system, they may at least know qualified personnel in your area and direct you to the right person. A couple of weekends may be enough to learn how to do the basics or to convince you to lock everything down.
Read some books. Book knowledge is not equal to real world knowledge, but you will have an understanding of the parts and operations and not waste someones time and your money teaching you what it is you are looking at.

If raising and lowering is required, I'd concur this is a good motor application. My concern would be if they cant fund support now, how will they fund annual service required on motorized rigging.

I am a middle school theatre teacher with no background in rigging. The system in my theatre just does lights. I know it is not set up right and not correctly weighted having tried it once. The district has no one to train me in its use. I am suggesting a motorized system for safety. I know some stupid 12 year old will do something to it and cause an accident. Sometimes the fear of death does not work as middle schoolers feel they are immortal. It seems that motorized is the way to go in this case. Opinions...
I suspect that San Diego school district would have some qualafied theatrical technicians to talk with. if not look for a local vendor who has experiance with installing rigging. start with the SDUSD"Visual and Performing Arts" page

@drama3022, as others have said, I feel that it would be better and cheaper for you to be trained than to switch systems. Since the district does not have someone specific to train you in the proper use of your system, you will need to bring in an outside contractor. Being in a major city, this shouldn't be too difficult once you get past the red tape of the school district. My assumption is that you will need to speak with the district safety officer to get this ball rolling. Chalk it up to an onsite inspection and then have the contractor teach you what needs to be done. You should have the system inspected every year anyhow, so you are probably overdue.

I don't know the theatrical vendors/contractors in your area. But one way to get help is to ask a theatrical supply house with a rigging department to come quote a motorized system, or curtains, or anything. Once they're on site you can pick their brain more or less for free. Try to reciprocate by giving them whatever business you can -- lamps and gels, etc. Build a relationship. These guys are a resource, and all they want is first crack at the paying work when the district finds some money.

My old boss liked to seal curtain-replacement sales by offering to throw in new window curtains for the principal's office. Sometimes this is a way to get the principal to authorize money for the theater.

If you can hire a guy like Bill to consult, that's great. But a lot of schools aren't in that position and the salaried guys at the theatrical supply houses can be an alternate resource. Relying on contractors for consulting is not risk-free; they're not infallible and are looking for profit. But if you build a relationship with a good one it's a win-win.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back