Motorized rigging

In Texas, I would look at what Texas Scenic can manufacture. Generally pretty good and economical. Clancy and ETC are the two major national players inm mind and whose work I have seen. They are probably most worth study simply in having much more data online. Tait with the BigTow line of Stage Tech heritage is very good and highend.

I Weiss and Protech are worthy competitors. I'm leaving out European manufacturers who are not often seen in US.

High trim, capacity and travel are the keys to all rigging. Add speed for motorized. Don't loose site of those. After that you'll want to try to figure out how sophisticated of controls you need.

I hope you have a say in consultant selection and can get the type who listens to users.

I'd spend just as much if not more time evaluating the control side of the equation as I did the winch. Jr Clancy and vortek both made super extremely terrible control surfaces at some point, I haven't touched their newer offerings.

It's important to think about what you currently do, and how you currently approach it, and then receive demos of how the various options will approach those problems. You'll be surprised at how obtuse some of the approaches are.

I'd spend just as much if not more time evaluating the control side of the equation as I did the winch. Jr Clancy and vortek both made super extremely terrible control surfaces at some point, I haven't touched their newer offerings.

It's important to think about what you currently do, and how you currently approach it, and then receive demos of how the various options will approach those problems. You'll be surprised at how obtuse some of the approaches are.

We have the older Vortek (made by Daktronics at the time) controller, terrible is an understatement.

The newer controllers that ETC has on the website look a lot more user friendly.

Well, for my money no one has mastered motorized rigging like Waagner-Biro, but they won't sell to US. Next is Scott Fishers Navigator, now a Tait product. As robust and extensible as they come. I think it can sell tickets too. After that, the Niscon consoles - which includes Clancy's Scene Control 24 line - are quite competent. And ETCs Foundation line is also very competent and excellently supported.

What do you want to do?

I need 22 utility lines and 3 lines to use with my sound clouds. Right now I have Hoffend and Sons Livepipe system. Which is not working out.
Queries:
- Length of pipes?
- Load capacity??
- Low trim height???
- High trim height????
- Travel distance?????
- Automated with presets??????
- Any particular requirements for speed???????
- Budget????????
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

ETC bought the LivePipe product from Hoffends, changed it a lot, and is now marketing it as Flypipe. Call the highest up person you know at ETC and see if they can help. Might be easy - relatively - if just controls. Someone of the many ETC folk here might even speak up.

Id be curious to know if just not doing anything not working or doing strange things or falling down not working.

We just motorized 7 lines this summer (for a new shell and for storage pipes) with Tiffin Scenic motors and gear, they were great to work with and work nationally.

Shameless plug... You can also call us at TAIT, we do automated rigging as well. We are likely going to be on the higher end of the price range, but rock solid systems. We can do simple linesets and custom solutions for any of your potential needs.

Ironically, i'm pretty sure I just saw an ad for the "Flypipe" system on the top right...

As a Canadian, I am required to reccomend you take a look at Niscon's Raynok system, right out of Burlington Ontario.

But seriously, It's a solid system.

Ironically, i'm pretty sure I just saw an ad for the "Flypipe" system on the top right...

As a Canadian, I am required to reccomend you take a look at Niscon's Raynok system, right out of Burlington Ontario.

But seriously, It's a solid system.
No disagreement but basically same software as Clancy. And controls only. Maybe Niscon makes joists but I'm not aware of them.

No disagreement but basically same software as Clancy. And controls only. Maybe Niscon makes joists but I'm not aware of them.
You're correct Bill. We don't manufacture hoists but we do work with a lot of fantastic hoist manufacturers. Our focus is controls and in a renovation scenario the machinery is often not the part that needs to be replaced. It is usually the control first and some mechanical parts.

So tdub can ask Niscon for a look see as well as (probably)Texas Scenic representing ETC. Hopefully it is just the controls as you point out and I agree is the usual case. This is a case where there is often scope creep, and everything gets replaced - but easier to get a foot in the door and let admin figure out they should replace all.

At the end of the day, tdub needs someone with experience and good knowledge to evaluate what they have and what the condition is and if its part or all that has to be fixed/replaced.

And if I'm not mistaken, Hoffend's Livepipe was manufactured in Canada? Small world.

I'll be very candid, but what I have heard and learned of Hoffend's Livepipe and its evolution into ETCs FlyPipe, would cause me to look very carefully before recommending repair rather than replacement. Just not optimistic that Livepipe was every fully baked, but it could have been.

A little off topic, but Niscon can make these small scale theatres too!

Attachments

• IMG_20191003_092742.jpg
    IMG_20191003_092742.jpg
    416.7 KB · Views: 191
This thread sent my keyword alerts into overdrive.

OP I'd strongly recommend working with a local qualified theater consultant, which you mentioned. They should provide you with a variety of options and the pros/cons of each.

As for the Live Pipe, let me know if you are continuing to have issues and I'll do my best to reach out to our contacts up the food chain at ETC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back