mounting a hanging choir mic for outdoor performance

AshleyB

I'm considering using some Audio-technica 45s for an outdoor play (hand-me-downs from the choir teacher, so the price is right). Being outdoors, we obviously don't have a way to hang them, so are looking at mounting them around the set to pick up my unmic'd actors. I'd like to mount a couple on an upstage handrail. The shockmounts I currently have are too large for the 45s. Anyone have a lead on smaller shock mounts or a DIY fix? t'anks

Do you have a photo of how they're currently mounted?
The cable itself has some semi-rigid, semi-bendable metal inside right? Or is it fixed at a certain angle?

I've extensively used the the Micro Audix mics and they have a load of accessories that may be adaptable including shock mounts and skinny boom extensions.

Have you checked to see how these microphones do in the presence of wind? Do you have access to appropriately sized and shaped wind socks or similar apparatus if needed?

This may not be an application for your situation, but I once used black fiberglass fishing rod blanks (without the little metal loops.) to hang chorals cantilevered out from the top of set walls so they hung over the actors. Worked great.

My clever hubs engineered a great solution involving pvc and foam tubes. We're mounting them inside rehearsal cubes set in their side around the down stage edge of the playing area.i can post a pic tomorrow.

_7277507.JPG

This is from a show I did a number of years ago with next to no budget (was a fundraiser for the historical society in St. Joseph Ontario). We worked support for the aircraft cable into the stage design (trees on either side), mounted the monitors on the back of those "trees" and put the speakers on the bales out front. The mics were hung on the wire and taken down every day (speakers also taken down of course). This of course only provided minimal reinforcement but it was much needed given the size of the outdoor space and the use of music and musical numbers.
Worked a treat, don't remember what mics we used as they were rented and this was a decade ago.
What a crazy project, I designed the sound along side the sound person (he was only involved for a few days before performance), designed the set, built the set and stage managed the show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back