The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Movement within a "floating ceiling"

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by tomed101, Aug 25, 2007.

1. tomed101

tomed101 Active Member

My theater has a "floating ceiling" which for those of you who don't know is where the ceiling is suspended from I beams at roof level by thin wire hooks. The hooks are designed to only support the weight of the ceiling and nothing else.

My question:
    Is there any way of moving about within a floating ceiling? I would imagine that systems are available to use harnesses and other equipment to move but I am wondering about other possible ways of maneuvering without such equipment.

Tom

2. Footer

Footer Senior Team Senior Team Premium Member

If it is the kind of ceiling that has thin steel runners and tiles dropped onto that, nope, no way no how. That system is made just to shape sound, not to do anything beyond that. If it is the fiberglass/chicken wire mesh combo then you can somewhat get away walking on it. I would not do this without fall arrest gear. If it is the newer type, don't do it even with fall arrest. If you have to get to a position (to change a house light I suppose) consider investing in a AWP genie with a super straddle.

3. Charc

Charc Well-Known Member

Or... if your school or place of work has portable scaffolding... start clearing the house of seats! It's a pain, but that's how I was told all of the work in our house has been done. (They tend to do it during spring breaks, long weekends, summer, etc. so I can't verify it.)

4. tomed101

tomed101 Active Member

The type we have is basically a regular ceiling that would be screwed to roofing trusses if they were present but instead is screwed to steel runners and the runners are suspended from the I beams. Ours is probably better described as a suspended ceiling rather than a floating ceiling. It is also not a small section suspended beneath the ceiling of the rest of the room, the entire ceiling is suspended. It does not use tiles or any other type of modular construction, or fiberglass as was mentioned above. Every 6m or so (20 feet approx) there are manholes built in. These are steel lined industrial manholes so I would assume the ceiling is designed to be moved within.

I hope this made sense

Tom

5. avkid

avkid Not a New User Fight Leukemia

Stagehand/ Production Company Owner
    This just screams picture time.

6. Charc

Charc Well-Known Member

Agreed, multiple large, hi quality pictures, from multiple vantage points, would clarify things.

7. gafftaper

gafftaper Senior Team Senior Team Fight Leukemia

Theater Manager & T.D.
    He's down under guys... it may be an entirely different product than we have here topside.

8. Logos

Logos Well-Known Member

Retired
    My initial advice is don't go up there without seeing plans that include load ratings. Always err on the side of conservatism when risking ones neck.

9. tomed101

tomed101 Active Member

Thanks for the responses. When I get a chance I will take some photos of my setup (may take some time as I am very bust right now) As for plans, well they dont exist, or if they do, the school doesn't have them and neither do the construction company (the building is only 2 years old)

10. gafftaper

Theater Manager & T.D.
    Look for some sort of indication of brand or model number up there... maybe that can help. It's hard to believe no one has any sort of blueprints for a 2 year old building. Perhaps you just haven't asked the right person. Maybe they are kept at some central facility not in the building.

11. hoff_2

hoff_2 Member

I went to MO Boys State, and a kid tried to climb in a ceiling like that and the whole thing collapsed! as for the blueprints, my PAC's are kept in the sound booth.

12. Van

Van CBMod CB Mods Premium Member

Project Manager, Stagecraft Industries, Inc.
    I had to call the architects who were originally in charge of construction to get specs of the floor of my theatre, and that construction was done almost 9 years ago. I know you're down under, but I can't beleive the Architects, or contractors don't have something on file. Please don't try going up there before finding out what the load ratings, and design specs on that ceiling are. We'd like to have you around for a while. 'K?

13. gafftaper

Theater Manager & T.D.
    Charc are you just being young and careless or are you trying to start a fight with WhatRigger?

14. Logos

Logos Well-Known Member

Retired
    I started writing a truly foolish and really dangerous remark realised how tired I am and editied it out of existence.

Go Metric Go metric Rah Rah Rah

15. tomed101

tomed101 Active Member

Thanks again for the info. Until I am able to check load ratings, I have no intentions of entering the ceiling. If we need to run a cable through there, we tie a role of gaffa tape to a rope, lean into one of the manholes from a ladder, throw the gaff approximatly where it needs to go and pull the cable through. At no time is any weight on the ceiling (except for the gaff of course). This gets the cable through relatively easily.

When I get a chance, I will take some happy snaps.

Tom

16. Van

Van CBMod CB Mods Premium Member

Project Manager, Stagecraft Industries, Inc.
    Hey I bought a great tool a while ago. it's called a "cable caster" it's a high powered kids dart gun , like the kind with a little suction tip on th end, Except this fires a "glow in the dark" dart with a loop on it . The loop gets tied to a fishing line, which, in turn runs to a small Diawa spinner reel mounted on the gun. Basically you shoot the dart tie the cable to the fishing line and reel it in. If you're going to be hauling a heavy cable, then you use the fishing line to reel in some tieline or heavier cordage.

17. gafftaper

Theater Manager & T.D.
    Van that's really cool where did you find it?

18. Charc

Charc Well-Known Member

Google search: "Cable Caster", you'll get tons of hits.

19. avkid

avkid Not a New User Fight Leukemia

Stagehand/ Production Company Owner
    Sweetness!!!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  20. Charc

Charc Well-Known Member

Try a harpoon gun next time. You could shoot the 12/3 SOOW first, no fishline needed.