Mover recommendation

meque

Im looking for some new movers for a new venue. Its a small theatre and they need to be quiet. Im thinking 2-4 spots or profiles as a front an then maybe 4-8 wash fixtures. Its a small room 8x12 with a 8 x 6 m stage, and the fixtures should hang from 5 m height. Shooting distance is somewhere between 6-9 m.

For the washes I've been looking at LedBeam 350 (Robe) but I would like to have options. We do theatre but sometimes music acts and conferences.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Movers for a venue that size, at that short of a hang & throw distance, particularly when "they need to be quiet" seems a bit contradictory (IMHO). I'd go with 6" fresnels and some S4 Junior zooms and call it a success! Or, if you MUST go with LEDs, grab some LED fresnels and ERS-equivalents designed for that kind of short(er) throw distance). It's like saying, I need a small car just for tooting around town and want really good mileage. Which Bugatti or Lamborghini should I buy for this purpose?

Movers for a venue that size, at that short of a hang & throw distance, particularly when "they need to be quiet" seems a bit contradictory (IMHO). I'd go with 6" fresnels and some S4 Junior zooms and call it a success! Or, if you MUST go with LEDs, grab some LED fresnels and ERS-equivalents designed for that kind of short(er) throw distance). It's like saying, I need a small car just for tooting around town and want really good mileage. Which Bugatti or Lamborghini should I buy for this purpose?
Realize @meque 's space is 8 x 12 Metres not feet with a throw distance of 6 < 9 Metres.
Calling @Ford
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

The power infrasctructure is good. I have 3 x 32A for "extra fixtures" and the budget is not determined yet, but I can ask for basically whatever and then we'll take from there.

I get that I can do fine with just conventional lighting and I already have a good set of fresnels, s4 jrs and par cans. But the people that equips the venue are asking me for movers and I'm not going to turn it down. So to use the car analogy, if somebody want to buy you a bugatti you'll say "a black one, please". (I know that this is new info that I should have provided from the begining)

Thanks for the input anyway

I've got a few questions...
First of all, what is your timeline? Most lighting manufacturers (or all, really) are facing supply chain challenges, and have customers competing for the gear that they have in-stock.
What is your budget?
What types of shows do you typically host (Drama, Musical, Bands/concerts)?

Based on what you've already said...
The Silens is a great option if you need absolute silence from the Fixture. Even moving at maximum speed with all of the effects running simultaneously it is insanely quiet. The Gobos were designed with theatrical applications in-mind, and are interchangeable between the static and rotating wheel. The frost control is amazing (from super light through heavy, it is even across the field). This is a great option for straight plays (Dramas), and for concert halls where even the slightest noise or fan hum is an issue.

Another option though might be the Force S Profile. It's smaller, and faster, but pays for that by not being silent. It is still pretty quiet, and has additional quiet modes which lower the Fan speeds and maximum intensity based on the expected maximum temperature of the space they're hung in (Called TV-25 and TV-35 modes).

If you'd like to see units in your space, and compare them, Please send me your contact details, and I will put you in touch with our Local Swedish distributor.

I've got a few questions...
First of all, what is your timeline? Most lighting manufacturers (or all, really) are facing supply chain challenges, and have customers competing for the gear that they have in-stock.
What is your budget?
What types of shows do you typically host (Drama, Musical, Bands/concerts)?

Based on what you've already said...
The Silens is a great option if you need absolute silence from the Fixture. Even moving at maximum speed with all of the effects running simultaneously it is insanely quiet. The Gobos were designed with theatrical applications in-mind, and are interchangeable between the static and rotating wheel. The frost control is amazing (from super light through heavy, it is even across the field). This is a great option for straight plays (Dramas), and for concert halls where even the slightest noise or fan hum is an issue.

Another option though might be the Force S Profile. It's smaller, and faster, but pays for that by not being silent. It is still pretty quiet, and has additional quiet modes which lower the Fan speeds and maximum intensity based on the expected maximum temperature of the space they're hung in (Called TV-25 and TV-35 modes).

If you'd like to see units in your space, and compare them, Please send me your contact details, and I will put you in touch with our Local Swedish distributor.

Thank you. We don't really have a timeline or at least no deadline hit. With that said somewhere come spring would be good. We're having our first meeting on tuesday where I get the chance to push for a couple of fixtures so I'll check specs out and do a bit of research. We mainly do drama or musical theatre. I'll get back to you with my details next week.

Thanks to everybody that comes with suggestions!

If you feel you have until spring to decide then you have the perfect opportunity to test and evaluate what would work best for your needs.
We'd be happy to help you out with a demo of ETC & High End fixtures. The above mentioned Lonestar ofcourse being one of them.
Head on over to the Intersonic website for our contact info.

I hadn't even heard about the Lonestar. Biggest checkbox for me lately is shutters but after seeing those shootouts, I realize when comparing fixture to fixture, there are differences that are easy to overlook when not looking at them next to each other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back