Automated Fixtures Moving head default position

Hi,

I have ETC Element console and couple of Robe DL4F Wash fixtures for back/downlight. Their default position when i turn them on is sideways. So when I want to move them up or down the stage I have to PAN them first rather than just using tilt. These are my first moving heads with Element. Does this default position comes from console?
If I edit the default position will it mess up my existing show if I editi it there also? How to edit it?

I would first suggest spinning the actual fixtures 90 degrees on the hanging position because this will mean that you maintain 270 degrees of pan in each direction. I believe that most Robe fixtures allow you to put the omega brackets on in either direction.

Yes, the home position comes from the console. I'm told you can update the profile for the fixture to set the position as you want it.

Write a present 900 and label it home. Set the fixture where you want it and you can update the home preset in I believe it's show settings.

I always do this first before programming so I always start from the same location. I also invert pan or tilt as needed. The only way you know you'll be fine is to flash through the show and see if it looks ok since now when you hit home it'll go there instead of what you originally had set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While the method egilson1 and Toffee mentions would work with an Ion/Eos/Gio the Element does not support presets and therefore does not have the home preset option.

If you must hang the fixtures sideways, then I would find the raw data for the pan/tilt values by placing them in the position you want, select them and press the About key and under pan and tilt there should be 5-digit numbers, this is the DMX value in 16bits. You can then go into the Profile for your DL4F, copy it, and then edit the home values for pan and tilt. Repeat as necessary.

I don't think this would change anything in your show, but I would always spin a disk before just in case.

Last edited:
Well I think it's little weird that ETC default profile would set the head sideways. Logic would say that tilt is towards front and back, not left to right on default.
But will try that.

Many fixtures (starting with the original moving heads, Vari*Lites) have cables facing to the side rather than to the rear. The default position for every mover is going to be 50/50 pan/tilt, and on some movers this means cables upstage to get 50/50 and on some movers this means cables offstage to be 50/50.

I would just write a black cue in the beginning of the stack that sets them wherever you want. As long as you are running LTP then they will sit there until told to do something else. It actually gives you a diagnostic as any fixture that is out of position has got problems.

Home position on the Element is very easy to set. Not quite as easy as the others, but this is also a general technique that can work for most boards.
  1. Set the fixture where you want it. In 'About' note the current values for pan and tilt.
  2. In patch, go to the fixtures list. Copy the fixture profile (Robe DL4F sideways)
  3. Edit the profile. Home column will likely say 128 (half of 256) set it to whatever you saw above.
  4. Set the side/flipped channels to use that profile.
  5. Test and adjust as needed.
Once you have that profile you can merge it into other show files, like a template file. (Separate discussion, just ask)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back