Moving Light Board

JP12687

Hey guys,

I'm not sure if this has been posted before but...

I am very familiar with the name brand, high end moving light boards (the MAs, hogs, etc..) my question is.

If i was looking for a moving light board in the $3k-5k range..what is there in that catagory thats any good??

thanks

For your budget I would recommend a pc based controller also, although I prefer Martin LightJockey over HogPC. A good notebook pc will run $1500 or less. The dmx hardware interface tops out at about $2k depending on # of universes and brand, and the software is typically free. Some have a programming and/or playback wing, which could be anywhere from $200 - $1,500 each. If you go the pc route, I would seriously recommend a second monitor, and think about making it a touch screen.

There's only one Mac based platform, the name of which I always forget because I don't know anything about Macs.

Best thing about pc based control is that most of the packages allow you to download the software for free. So you can try them before you buy.

Last edited:
Have you seen the Marquee? I saw a demo last week and it's a pretty sweet system. I was impressed by three things especially: First it has an easy Graphic interface it feels like a typical Windows program. Second it controls lights in real world terms such as degrees and RPM's. Third you can tell a mover start at point A and move to point B and the software adjusts the instrument so that it moves in a straight line instead of a circular path. They also have a PC version with an interface that can accept add on wing pannels. I know that the boards run about $12K and $17k but I don't know how much the PC version costs.

Here's the link:
http://www.etdimming.com/index.php?...s&srctype=display&id=622&category=Ent_Control

if i was going to go blow money, i would probaly go hog 3pc. i worked with the schools hog 500 and i was impressed with how easy it was to use. until i have had a chance to demo other boards i typicaly stick with what i know best

koncept said:
if i was going to go blow money, i would probaly go hog 3pc. i worked with the schools hog 500 and i was impressed with how easy it was to use. until i have had a chance to demo other boards i typicaly stick with what i know best

Be careful what you recommend! The Hog3 software is quite different then what you used in the Hog500, or even Hog2. The transition from Hog2 to Hog3 isn't too bad, but from 500 to Hog3 is alittle more of a transition.

In the end I would agree with you. HogPC is definetly the standard for PC-based lighting control. I've used it for 2.5 years, and am very happy with it. Does that mean I havn't had ANY problems with it? Of course not, but nothing too major (show stopping), and for the price you pay - it's amazing.

i would agree 3pc and 500 are different, but i've loaded it on my notebook to look at, and it seems easy to use still. if i did go that route i would want the recording wing just so im not using a mouse

Users who are viewing this thread

Back