Moving Light Controller

I was thinking 3 Mac 250 Entours hung above the stage and 6 Mac 250 Wash positioned around the stage, 4 on top of truss (pedestal). I have been thinking and i think i am going to use the hog 1000 also. Reason being our stage is only about 40' wide, 25' deep, and 18' to the top of the curtain!! Although our bars go up to about 27'.

Last edited:
Correct me if I am going a little crazy (it is QUITE a short trip). But it seems to me that a 250W fixture at about a 20' throw will not have enough punch to be your key light.

Yes, you would be correct, I think that the Mac 600 Wash would be better and therefore change to the Mac 500 for the hanging lights.

If the 500s are the original 500s (not 500NTs), the Entours will beat them in a side-by-side eye-only comparison unless the 500s have been cleaned insanely well. The Entour is a very bright fixture for being a 250 watter.

Remember that Martin optics are what sold a 400W fixture in the 575W market (MAC550, anyone?).

Most rental MAC500s these days fit a quote that I saw on here once, but can't find right now - "Am I a MAC500 or am I a flashlight?". Get the Entours or MAC550s. But not MAC500s.

</ lambasting ON> You heard erroneously: Hog500 and Hog1000 program exactly like the HogII,

ososorry, wise one; I realized the OS was identical, yet had heard the lack of of the hogII's touchscreens was a barrier to programming. Haven't used either the 1k or 500. Glad to hear my disclaimer wasn't in vain ;)

In saying 500's i ment the 550... my mistake and also wouldn't the Mac 700 wash be better for this application? I would love to get all 2000's but my budget just dosen't allow me to go that high, i think the 550 and 700 will work good.

The 550s will work well. Unless you can go all 700s, I'd say 550s all around. Having only three fixtures with gobos seems rather limiting, but maybe the rationale behind that will come through in your design concept statement. I've seen 550s easily slice through a 1K narrow rear PRT rig, so they're plenty bright enough.

So basically what you are saying is keep it all profile lights... With that said using 9 550's should work out well.... like i said before i plan on hanging three in the middle of the stage, spaced 6 feet apart then for the floor based ones, placed on about 5 foot truss sections. Those will be placed two on the front corners of the stage(only 2' truss), two on the sides in the middle, and two in the middle of the back of the stage 10' apart. I think this will cover everything well for me and provide some extra flare to the show.... any recomindations on a fogger/hazer to use that will somewhat quickly dissapate as it is a variety show and we also have comedy and dance acts as well as music. Basically something that wont make the comedy actors look weird when the stage is just white?

For some designs I can easily rationalize wash fixtures, and for some I feel like all of my movers need to be able to do gobos. For lower wattage fixtures, you sacrifice gobos when you go in one direction and you sacrifice CMY when you go in the other direction.

But yeah, 9 MAC550s would work out well.

I had an argument with another designer about getting no wash lights, and just getting all profiles. Personally, I prefer using the washes to set a base tone on the haze, and then using the profiles to punch through with other colors. He was advocating the versatility of the profiles (gobos and more bang for your buck). Just stuff to keep in mind. You can set a base with conventional fixtures, you'll just lose the CMY.

As I said, in many designs, I can justify washlights. But in some, I'd rather have all gobo projectors. This is why I push the idea of integrating the choice of fixtures into the concept statement.

I like washes just because of the bigger beam size, they seem more punchy.

Less and less while actually using movers have I found myself using gobos...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back