The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Moving Light Fixture - What Is It Called???

Discussion in 'Lighting and Electrics' started by beam_1973, May 9, 2007.

1. beam_1973

beam_1973 Member

I have been searching for the make/model of a moving light I have seen in recent times. Will try to describe it ... imagine what looks like (but isn't) four shorty PAR cans housed side-by-side in a housing approximately 4-5 feet long. Each "can" can independently pan on its own yoke (180 deg) inside the housing and the housing itself can tilt 180 deg in the opposite axis to the "can" tilt.

They are DMX controllable and each "can" throws quite a narrow beam of light with minimal spread.

I have attached a VERY basic sketch ... if it helps (and Aussies read this), the same fixtures are flown on trussing over the studio audience in the current Big Brother series (yes, ashamedly, I do watch from time to time).

Cheers
    Craig

Attached Files:

2. jmabray

jmabray Active Member

3. icewolf08

icewolf08 CBMod CB Mods

Controls Technician - TAIT Towers
    Don't know the fixture in particular, but the PAR lamp you described sounds like an ACL. ACL's are often mounted in groups of 4 as they are usually wired in series to come up to 115v as the lamps are 28v (in the US that is).

Last edited: May 9, 2007
  4. gafftaper

gafftaper Senior Team Senior Team Fight Leukemia

Theater Manager & T.D.
    Definitely sounds like a DJ product and not something from the big guys like Martin or Vari-lite.

5. DarSax

DarSax Active Member

No, no no no. I know exactly what you're talking about. It's very new, and I thought it was a great idea.

Now, do I know what it's called or who makes it? Of course not. But I'll browse around, see what I cna find.

6. len

len Well-Known Member

The first thing I thought of was the Studio Due CS-4, which is 4 ACL on a rack. Pan is independent, but they all tilt together. http://www.studiodue.com/products/products_cs.html

What do we win for the correct answer?

beam_1973 and DarSax like this.
  7. Jezza

Jezza Active Member

The Studio Due CS-4 looks brilliant. Never seen that before but totally cool. Wish I could can my hands on some of those for the next show. Are they in production yet do you know?

8. Kelite

Kelite Apollo Staff Premium Member

I believe it was in their booth at SIB in Rimini, Italy this past March.

Jezza, where are you located? I'll give you the number of your closest Studio Due dealer for availability-

9. len

len Well-Known Member

Yes they are. Been out for over a year that I know of.

10. Jezza

Jezza Active Member

Poughkeepsie, NY, just an hour and half north of NYC. I've got a show comming up where I could see those fitting in perfectly. Let me know.

11. Kelite

Try calling Techni-Lux and speak with Tony. They are the Studio Due distributor for the USA and have dealers/rental houses in your area.

(407)857-8770

12. beam_1973

beam_1973 Member

Yep ... spot on, that's the item (the CS-4) I have been seeing around, thank you (its been driving me nuts!!).

As for a prize, how about a set of steak knives?!?!?!

Thanks again!!

As for other comments re: availability/use ... I have only seen them used so far at rock concerts ... for a 250w lamp, the intensity and throw is huge (picture a VNSP par lamp beam but with a sharper edge). Once the pan/tilt gets moving on them, its a full on roller coaster ride to look at!

Cheers
    Craig

13. beam_1973

beam_1973 Member

Yep, they are very cool ... and seem very effective with some haze in the air! The gig I saw on Wed night had 7 of these suckers set up (three flown on the back truss horizontally and two set up on either side of stage in the vertical orientation). Saw them a while back at another show ... had a few of them hidden behind the band's backline, so I coudn't see them to work out what they looked like.

14. stantonsound

stantonsound Active Member

Hey Kelite, or anyone else for that matter, what is the price on these things?

Thanks

15. TimMiller

TimMiller Well-Known Member

SO thats what this rider was specing if ACL's were not avaliable and making everybody in the shop go WTF is that.

16. Kelite

I just spoke with Techni-Lux in Florida regarding the fixture, and here's the skinny-
    The CS-4 takes 20 DMX channels, has a suggested List price of $2,990.
    Since the original poster of this thread is in Poughkeepsie, the NY area Techni-Lux rep is Berry Seiden @ Metro Tek Inc. You may contact him at (732)247-2526 or send an email to [email protected]

I hope it helps-

stantonsound likes this.
  17. koncept

koncept Active Member

those things do look cool. are there any clips of them in action available?

18. gafftaper

gafftaper Senior Team Senior Team Fight Leukemia

Theater Manager & T.D.
    If the list is $2990... then you can expect to pay down around $2500 (+/- a little) depending on how many you buy and your relationship with the dealer, and of course there is shipping and sales tax. I usually figure somewhere between 15% and 20% below list... which often is about equal to tax and shipping.

As a side tip if you are dealing with a major local dealer who keeps an inventory of equipment in stock, and if you are purchasing a product that they keep in stock (for example, products from ETC, Strand, Rosco, or Apollo). Ask if you can get a deal on shipping by waiting to have your gear packed with your dealer's next normal shipment from the factory. I get free shipping on a lot of things by simply waiting a while for delivery so that it's part of their "restocking order".

19. beam_1973

beam_1973 Member

Poughkeepsie??? ... I'm in Sydney ... Aussie born and bred!!! ;)

20. beam_1973

beam_1973 Member