Automated Fixtures Moving Light Tracking

toshiboy

Good Afternoon (in the UK)

I am going to be the Vari*Lite tracker for a large touring musical in the UK this summer. The role is a very un-used one on British theatre and thus, I am finding it very difficult to find examples of the paperwork produced. Does anyone have examples of large moving light rigs with -90-100 ML's?

It seems that FileMaker is a popular program for this sort of thing and I have come across FocusTrack (all be it very costly) Has anyone got example FileMaker show files I can look at?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
J

Last edited by a moderator:
First off we use Vectorworks for our paperwork (touring shows with 50 - 200 MLs). But regardles of the tool(s) you use, the quality of your paperwork will depend on how comfortable you are with them and how much time you put into the production of the paper work. Vectorworks, FocusTrack, and other tools out there may make things faster and easier over time, but they still have a learning curve that would take time away from making your paperwork for this show. If you are asking about learning (and perhaps investing in) a new product for long term use that's one thing and I'll leave others to help you with that, but if you're thinking about buying a whole new program just for one production I would look at your current tool set first and think about how it could be used to do what you want. You my not using the most popular product, but I'd rather have well made and thought out paperwork created using MS Office than something that was thrown together in the newest software because the LD didn't have time to really learn the program before the paperwork had to be done.

This for a tour or is it an installed show? How long is the run? Depending on what the expected use of the paperwork after you leave the show can really change what this gig is about. It is also something that has long since disappeared in the age of modern moving light consoles.

While I haven't been around the industry for very long, Footer's comments seem to echo what I've heard about how the concepts of moving light tracking have changed over the last few years. In the old days, an Associate or Assistant LD would write down every time a ML gets turned on, with detailed information such as a mini focus chart, a detailed description of the purpose, and the colors/gobos/shutters/iris in the light. How much information was recorded would depend on the level and length of run of the show, but the focus chart and purpose were almost universal. Nowadays, with moving lights being used as complete systems in rigs instead of independent specials, this simply isn't practical, and modern consoles and skilled programmers have made it unnecessary. However, if you're not using a modern ML console, I can definitely see the desire for a complete ML track. On the two major tours I've programmed, and this seems to match what I've heard from other programmer friends, the programmer is pretty much left to fend for himself when it comes to MLs. Many designers won't even channel the MLs, preferring to let the programmer channel them however makes sense to him/her. On my last show, the designer would usually just ask for "one of the spots from SL on the couple" or "a low sidelight on the girl at center" instead of calling for specific fixtures. Then it's up to me to find a light that isn't currently being used for something else. If I don't have anything that I can use, I use a different light and ask the designer if that's okay, and if it absolutely doesn't work, I program in a dump and restore as unobtrusively as possible. In some cases, particularly with designers not accustomed to working with large ML rigs, they'll often try to treat them as conventionals, calling everything by channel and giving specific instruction rather than letting the programmer make it work. However, this usually ends up taking far too long and puts a ton of extra burden on the LD team to make sure their paperwork matches the console.

Filemaker is an extremely popular program for this, and pretty much all of the great broadway Associates I've had to pleasure to meet all have their own highly customized and intricately detailed filemaker file that can do pretty much everything, right down to keeping track of everyone's lunch and coffee preferences. Most of these have, at a minimum, a detailed cue list with tons of checkboxes and text fields, followspot tracking, a notes database that can pull from the Lightwright show file, a detailed log of every light in the rig, and perhaps moving light tracking abilities. Unfortunately, I don't have any examples that I can send that would help you with this. FocusTrack is an amazingly powerful program, although it is quite expensive. I can say from experience that it's an incredibly powerful program - I worked on the 1st Natl Tour of a show that had just closed on broadway, and having all the focus track data from the original allowed the PE to work with the designer for more two-fering, cutting units, and moving the rig to just three different models of ML, and it even allowed us to do a ton of pre-programming in the shop. Though I've never toured, I can see focustrack being especially useful there, as you can easily bounce through the photos of different focuses to update presets quickly and accurately.

I don't think this really answered your questions. My first piece of advice would be to find out exactly what you're doing. Are you also serving as an Associate/Assistant, with ML tracking being one of your key jobs, or are you there JUST to track MLs? What does the designer (and perhaps the Head Electrician for the tour) want on that paperwork? Are you mostly serving the electricians as they tour the show, or will the LD be working directly from your work during tech? Unfortunately, I don't really believe there's a well-established standard for this type of work, so the only way to make sure you're doing what the rest of the team needs is to ask them.

Hope that helps.

If you're traveling with the rig and desk, other than a plot I don't see why you'd need any paperwork at all. Label the fixtures, label the truss as to its position, plug it in.

If the gear is being rented for each venue, then forward your plot with patching and addressing instructions to the vendor prior to the show and you should get what is on the plot. Anyone that can supply you with 100 moving lights should have the experienced staff to make this happen. A 100 mover hang would take a couple days to prep in a shop. Addressing and cable runs shouldn't be done on site. That's a waste of everyone's time.

With a rig that size, the piece of paper I would want most is a pallete sheet. Basically a list of all your position and beam shape palletes, so you can run through updating them at each new venue. Other than that, a plot and make a hookup is all the paperwork I'd need. You might end up with a lot of other stuff in your binder, but those are the only ones you'll use.

Hi all,

Sorry for not getting back soon! Thanks to all for your input, as I agree that this role is and in some places has become obsolete, the productions wants it so thats why Im doing it! Lukily, Im just going to be updating the paperwork for a european version so the building block should all be their!

Thanks again for help.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back