Automated Fixtures Moving lights with an Ion

Wow. I can see your point now. The icues give it the moving part but without the price of maintence and expensive bulb replacements. We actally have a genie lift that we use to get up there. It is scary though! Thanks for everyones opinions. I really appreciate the response I have been given and will try to do the same here once I am not a newb... We have a concert coming up this tuesday. I will post some pictures of it action. I am building 2 light boxes to hang in mid-air behind stage and also we have 4 large christmas trees with red, green, blue, yellow, and white mixing hooked to the board. We actually have three bags full of 6 1/4" donuts and 1 bag of M gobo holders and 1 bag of S4 (D size) gobo holders. I will have to try the laser effect with a donut. Thanks for the opinions once again guys! Marshall.

Wow. I can see your point now. The icues give it the moving part but without the price of maintence and expensive bulb replacements. We actally have a genie lift that we use to get up there. It is scary though! Thanks for everyones opinions. I really appreciate the response I have been given and will try to do the same here once I am not a newb... We have a concert coming up this tuesday. I will post some pictures of it action. I am building 2 light boxes to hang in mid-air behind stage and also we have 4 large christmas trees with red, green, blue, yellow, and white mixing hooked to the board. We actually have three bags full of 6 1/4" donuts and 1 bag of M gobo holders and 1 bag of S4 (D size) gobo holders. I will have to try the laser effect with a donut. Thanks for the opinions once again guys! Marshall.

Now that we are straying a little from your thread topic. First off, you probably have A or B size template holders for the Source 4s, and M size for Source 4 Jrs. As someone mentioned earlier, donuts won't help you make the beam narrower as they go in front of the lens, intended to help make gobos sharper. What you want is an aperture reducer template. Other than that, sounds fun!

I skimmed through about half of the thread, seems a bunch of people all proponents of the gafftaper method, and you keep saying you want to have them for concerts so I am gonna throw out a different opinion. Go pick up 4 elation spot fixtures and put them out on the deck for the concerts you have. Having movers on the floor gives a whole new layer of stuff you can play with and then you can put them away for your normal shows.

Regardless of what the proponents of the gaff taper method have to say, a source 4 with a right arm and a scroller is not a moving light, or near equivalent to one.

putting moving lights on the floor makes a huge difference. Big lighting rigs are all about layering. It will give the stage a more 3 deminsional space, and really impress everyone.

Regardless of what the proponents of the gaff taper method have to say, a source 4 with a right arm and a scroller is not a moving light, or near equivalent to one.

I don't think we are saying that the gafftaper method is equivalent to getting a moving light, I am pretty sure that we know it isn't. However, I think our point was that for a high school with limited capital to spend, buying cheap gear isn't the best option. Also, since most high schools don't have the resources or infrastructure to handle maintaining even the most basic source 4, how would they maintain more expensive and more complex gear that is more prone to failure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back