Moving Mirror vs Moving Head

I have used DL2's for several shows and i would not use them to replace all my other moving lights. They just dont have the punch that a normal moving light has. My clay paky stage color 1200's were blowing through them. Only time i ever ran into my lights not blowing through a projector was in a environmental convention and in this medium sized room we had a 12k projector, and it would blow through the cybers when we had them in saturated colors. Now when they make a 12-15k projector in the DL series i may reconsider, but you would have to have more money than bill gates to afford buying enough DL whatevers to cover all of your area lighting along with all of your effects. Now days on the bigger rigs you are looking at 30-60 movers plus at least 120k. Then talk about the processing power to process all of that dmx...........

Also, we have both movers and mirrors. No one really wants a mirrored fixture anymore. They all want moving yoke.

One thing about a dl2 is the content can reside on the fixture. Saves wiring (and video cable just sucks) and saves having a media server. But you can't get as much content on it as you could a media server.

But DL2 is old hat. DL3 is out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back