Moving profile (spot) fixtures

DuckJordan

Touring IATSE Member
So i'm doing a bit of my own research as then venue I work in quite a bit is looking to do some lighting upgrades (we have loads of power available and can do 208 or 120v without issue.) We are looking for a moving light to add to our inventory. We function as a road house, a concert house, a rental house, and reception house and pretty much any event if its feasible and budget allowing. We have a ton of conventionals and are strictly looking for Moving fixtures. We are also replaceing our aging cyc lights with an LED alternative (durring wedding season it would save quite a bit on labor for LED color mixing rather than bringing in the pipe, the pick points and then swapping the colors (which we can get about 1 cut a piece with a ton of scrap left) then sending it back out to trim height and pulling back the pick lines. But thats an easier thing to do. We are looking between 0-10k per fixture budget obviously we could get more at the lower end.

Features we are looking for is, Color mixing (CMY or RGB) Rotating replaceable gobo's. An iris, mechanical or electrical dimming, Nothing else is coming to my head at the moment. We have demo'd the Martin Viper, as well as VL 770, and 880 and find the Martin a better fit (but the price range makes us cringe) Is there something else we could use (that we could possibly rent out as being rider friendly?)

Basicly I'm looking for other fixtures to research and possibly get demo's in our space.

Vipers are amazing, we got a demo of all their new kit recently. Might be worth looking at the Robe stuff. In particular I like the MMX Blade as it has adjustable shutter blades, and behaves just like a big profile light.

Out of curiosity, why specifically movers? I feel like any show that would need/want them will be touring and will bring their own. And if not, rentals are pretty affordable.

I don't know your space or anything, but I would be more interested in purchasing some ETC Desire Lustrs, or something like that.

Exactly, we tend to do some outside events as well and they would find quite a bit of use. Not to mention having seen the s4 led and not being all that impressed...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back