Moving Wash Lights

LPdan

I currently have a pair of Mac 2K Wash fixtures I am considering replacing with Chauvet Rogue R1 Wash fixtures. I'd prefer the R2 series, but they are out of my price range. Considering the size, weight, power requirement, lamps, etc, I'd really like to move in this direction. My usage is hanging over stage for high school and community theatre musicals, dance recitals, etc. Can anyone speak to the R1 performance, particularly in terms of brightness? Would this be a good replacement to consider? Am I giving up too much power? Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Those are two vastly different fixtures. Do you rely on the output of the Mac 2Ks? The R1 Wash is going to be a fraction of that. The R3 Wash is more on par with the MAC2K as far as output. You could probably do fine with the R2 washes but two R1 Washes will probably not be enough. I love the R1 and R2 washes but if you've been relying on the power of the Mac2K washes the R3 wash is the actual replacement.

Thank you, I appreciate that feedback. Assuming I could get the R2 fixtures, are there any other major feature differences to be concerned with besides output?

R2 allows some basic pixel mapping, but that is only visible when looking directly at the fixture. The difference in output between the R1 and R2 is significant - the R2 is more than twice as bright as the R1.

As noted, the R2s offer some section control, but for theatrical purposes, this isn't important. The LEDs and zoom lenses are the same between the R1 and R2, but the R2 has 19 LEDs vs. the R1's 7, so that's a huge difference in output - the R2 is 2.7x more output than the R1.

How's the fan noise on the R2's? If I had them they would be 10-14 feet overhead of the audience. It's a small (126 seat) venue and you can already hear the scrollers when they move.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back