mp3's

avkid

Not a New User
Fight Leukemia
first of all, excuse my lack of knowledge, can i just take tracks off cds put them on my computer then download them to an ipod? or do i need to change the format?

Yes, if you want I can talk you though this on AIM, but I can give you the general.

If you have a PC: take the CD that came with the iPod and install the software on it. Put a CD into the computer and open up iTunes (should be on the CD with the iPod, or download it from www.apple.com.

With iTunes open, click on the 'audio CD' or on the name of the CD if the CD names its self. On the upper right side, there will be a button that says "import". Push that button. The songs are now importing onto your computer,

Once you have all of the CD's that you need in, then plug your iPod in. You will most likely have to use the USB cable, but if you have a firewire cable, use that, its faster.

A screen should pop up, follow the instructions. The music in your iTunes folder should begin transferring its self onto your iPod.

For a Mac:
Basically the same thing, but you don't have to install software.

Open iTunes, and import CD's the same way you would if you use a PC. Once your CD's are in iTunes, then plug your iPod in. Use the firewire cable, as it will be faster. Follow the on screen instructions, and your iPod should start syncing to your computer.

Other info
If you have music on your computer, but not in iTunes:
Right click (control-click on mac) and select iTunes to open the file. This should copy the music file into the iTunes library area. You should then be able to trash the original copy of the song.

I think that should be enough info for anyone. If you need any help, you can IM me on AIM at HLS8891.

Exactly what Zac said. And if you have preexisting MP3's, iPod will use them unchanged.

Another note is that iTunes, by default dose not import CD's as MP3's. It encodes as AIFF files. If you want to import as MP3's you can change that under preferences:importing.

I would suggest leaving it to import as an AIFF file, you get better quality for a given size. You can convert it to MP3 later, if you wish, or you could burn them through iTunes as an MP3 CD (preferences:burning).

for anyone interested in turning files from a CD into MP3's on your computer, if you dont have a mac or itunes, and just want the files, you can probably get free software from download.com, the programs are called CD rippers, i have been usinc easy CD-DA extractor, but its only a trial version, there are tons of programs out there and it is great to have all your music on your comp.

problem , found out i am too poor to buy an ipod so i am getting a Dell digital jukebox, will this work with itunes which i already have?

the jukebox comes with musicmatch 8.1, will this do the same type of thing that itunes does?

zac850 said:
Another note is that iTunes, by default dose not import CD's as MP3's. It encodes as AIFF files. If you want to import as MP3's you can change that under preferences:importing.

I would suggest leaving it to import as an AIFF file, you get better quality for a given size. You can convert it to MP3 later, if you wish, or you could burn them through iTunes as an MP3 CD (preferences:burning).

it encoes as AAC, not AIFF by default. AIFF is similar to WAV, AAC is based on the mpeg4 standard and offers better sound quality than mp3s.

yes, music match jukebox will do the smae thing itunes does, although the interface will be different. do you think they'd sell these things if you couldn't turn cds in to mp3s to use on them, or use existing mps on them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back