Mt.Lassen Theatre Remodel

GMeinhardt

Hello from far Northern California!

So glad to have found this forum. I'm a Theatre Director and Musician (retired HS Science teacher) responsible for an entire theatre remodel with only nominal experience in tech. Excited about the remodel but sometimes baffled at the challenges of merging this old building with new tech. A church meets here every Sunday and I'm its music director so it gives me a chance to do lots of live performance before its converted into a larger theatre for drama and concerts. So, I'm cutting my teeth on a small worship team and ensemble sound needs : )

Question- would like to do a choir mic on a boom stand as the ceiling is super high- and the ensemble will probably remain small (less than 10 people). They sing with a small band on a relatively small stage. Any recommendations?

TYIA!
Gwen

welcome to CB on your first post!

What are the acoustics like? Micing a choir with a band playing behind them is tough if the room is live as you'll get tons of reverberation of the live band in the choir mics.

My first choice for an ensemble is an AKG 414. Switchable polar patterns and sensitive large element is very nice for a few people in a semicircle.
Considering that's probably way too expensive for a small church, start with a beta 58 on a straight stand, 90 degrees to the floor at mouth height.

Hi Gwen and welcome to Control Booth.

Great Guru Soundperson Said this, thusly: A microphone "hears" all of what is present where the microphone is placed; loudest sound(s) at the mic, wins.

Interpretation - a mic picks up sounds you might not need "more of". You get them anyway, along with whatever you actually want more of. This is what @macsound is mentioning.

There are techniques to help. One is for a microphone to be closer to the desired source and further from undesired sources; another is finding ways to limit the amount of undesired sound where the microphone is placed.

Is this for a traditional choral setting or a contemporary service where the chorus is really 8 - 12 soloists singing together?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back