Multi-Q on Broadway ACL production

SteveB

Hey Steve

A post on the stagecraft mailing list was about something you might remember:

"After a couple of visits to the Lighting Database NYC Public Library web
site I have a question about Tharon Musser's Chorus Line. The database
contains images of the tracking sheets for the 75 Broadway production.
On the title page of the tracking sheets is a note...
Multi-Q 16 Memory Emergency Qs with a list of 5 looks and
"Century Strand MMS Emergency Qs with a list of 10 looks"
Were these "emergency Qs" for stand by consoles incase the EDI board
failed?"

1) When did the Multi-Q replace the LS-8 ?
2) Was it a result of the Skirpan lawsuit against EDI ?
3) Any memories as to why the emergency cues ?, beyond the usual awaiting a console failure. Was there an MMS as backup ?

Curious and a thank you

Steve Bailey

Hey Steve

A post on the stagecraft mailing list was about something you might remember:

"After a couple of visits to the Lighting Database NYC Public Library web
site I have a question about Tharon Musser's Chorus Line. The database
contains images of the tracking sheets for the 75 Broadway production.
On the title page of the tracking sheets is a note...
Multi-Q 16 Memory Emergency Qs with a list of 5 looks and
"Century Strand MMS Emergency Qs with a list of 10 looks"
Were these "emergency Qs" for stand by consoles incase the EDI board
failed?"

1) When did the Multi-Q replace the LS-8 ?
2) Was it a result of the Skirpan lawsuit against EDI ?
3) Any memories as to why the emergency cues ?, beyond the usual awaiting a console failure. Was there an MMS as backup ?

Curious and a thank you

Steve Bailey

The Multi-Q replaced the LS-8 in 1986. After more than 10 years, the LS-8 was still going strong, but the NYSF was looking to save money. The DEC PDP-8A computer in the LS-8 was under a service contract with DEC, and that was not a cheap item. When DEC support for the PDP-8A dwindled, we thought it would be a good idea to retire the LS-8 and replace it with one on the Multi-Q's that NYSF had purchased for the ACL road companies.

This had nothing to do with the Skirpan lawsuit issue.

Once the LS-8 had moved to Production Arts, and I was no longer the sound engineer on the show, I lost touch with the Multi-Q details. However, I do not think there was an MMS backup--that might have been form another production. As I recall, Multi-Q had a simplistic 16-memory backup, as well as 96 analog pots for direct channel control. The emergency cues were set by Tharon for the event of a computer failure.

BTW, the only backup for the LS-8 was a 96-channnel 2-scene Scrimmer preset console. Not fun!

ST

Last edited:
I'm certain I remember a Theatre Crafts or Lighting Dimensions article discussing the "retirement" of the LS-8. The article said that the LS-8 was fine, but that the dimmers it controlled had become unreliable. The article ended with a quote from Tharon Musser, "Rest easy, Sam."

Do you recall, Mr. Terry, if the original dimmers were replaced at the same time? Perhaps the reasons given were "marketing spin" by the NYSF people, rather than fact?

For those who share my A Chorus Line fetish, I recommend the following:

One Singular Sensation, The Michael Bennett Story, Kevin Kelly. Zebra Books, 1990.
On the Line, The Creation of A Chorus Line, Robert Viagas, Baayork Lee, Thommie Walsh. William Morrow and Company, 1990.
What They Did for Love, The Untold Story Behind the Making of A Chorus Line, Denny Martin Flinn. Bantam Books, 1989.

Also, Every Little Step | Sony Pictures Classics, The Journey of 'A Chorus Line,' opening in New York and LA April 17! - Coming to a city near you this spring!

I'm certain I remember a Theatre Crafts or Lighting Dimensions article discussing the "retirement" of the LS-8. The article said that the LS-8 was fine, but that the dimmers it controlled had become unreliable. The article ended with a quote from Tharon Musser, "Rest easy, Sam."

Do you recall, Mr. Terry, if the original dimmers were replaced at the same time? Perhaps the reasons given were "marketing spin" by the NYSF people, rather than fact?

For those who share my A Chorus Line fetish, I recommend the following:

One Singular Sensation, The Michael Bennett Story, Kevin Kelly. Zebra Books, 1990.
On the Line, The Creation of A Chorus Line, Robert Viagas, Baayork Lee, Thommie Walsh. William Morrow and Company, 1990.
What They Did for Love, The Untold Story Behind the Making of A Chorus Line, Denny Martin Flinn. Bantam Books, 1989.

Also, Every Little Step | Sony Pictures Classics, The Journey of 'A Chorus Line,' opening in New York and LA April 17! - Coming to a city near you this spring!

As far as I know, the dimmers were not replaced.

ST

Users who are viewing this thread

Back