Multi-tools

Gerber, or Letherman?

• Total voters
Ship,

Yes, I do go to ISU. It's a good time. Almost out. Whoo-hoo. Anyways, as you said, simple is best, so...

I agree that using a multi-tool to cut wire rope regularly is a fairly fool-hearty thing to do. I'll leave that to my pair of C-7s (sweet, sweet, buttery cutting.) But if a multi-tool could possibly hold up to an occasional snip every now and again, it'd be great for those times when a dedicated pair of cable cutters are not on hand.

As for the Leatherman multi-tools, all of the specs are listed on the website for those who are doing their research. My biggest gripes with the Wave is that the tools do not all lock (big downside) and the pliers seem to take longer to "loosen up" than the PSTs. This makes flipping the Waves out with one hand (with many ohhs and ahhs) a tricky proposition.

The largest upsides to the Wave is the handle is more comfortable, though if you are doing something that requires enough pressure (and/or long duration of) to hurt your hand on a PST, you should probably head to the tool room for any one of the more suitable pliers that are available. The other upside is that both knives are on the outside of the Wave, which means that you do not have to open the tool just to get to the knife. Though I carry a folding knife for such situations, which in the long run (IMO) is better: you can pick your knife to suit your tastes and it will give you a bit more control when doing knivey type things.

...and I hope good times were had by all, and to all a good night.

zac850 said:
I sorta take the oppsite approch. My school is really small, and everyone knows that if theres something with tech, to come to me (during classes my laptop is used to watch dvd's relating to the class...etc)
Anyway, I keep it in my bag, but ill take out my leatherman during school if theres something I need with it, and everone knows I tech, so just assumes that im not going to try to kill someone with it...

Same here. Although it doesn't just go for me but rather for my entire crew. On any given day it's not uncommon for random teachers to come to classes and ask a member of stage crew to come and help with the computer, TV, DVD player, etc.

I use one of the school's leatherman's usually and that I keep in my bag but during tech week I've been known to be wearing all black and freak out some of the girls with the various tools that I strap to my belt (especially since I'm female, they just don't understand...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back