Sound f/x Multitrack Audio Player

AsherSB

I am working on a show that uses a lot of ambient sounds. We have a crashing ocean, forest, stream, etc. that all come in and out based on the scene. Is there something that could play multiple channels, each with independent outputs to the board? I could just have a channel for each and fade them in and out as I needed. Can anyone point me towards a product?

I would suggest that the easiest method of doing what you want is with a computer based playback system. With a computer and an audio interface running a playback system you could place as many sound sources on stage as you mixer or speaker configuration would allow.
I use both SFX by Stage Research and QLab by figure53. Both of these systems would allow you to play dozens of sound effect simultaneously and direct them to individual or groups of speakers. I use Sound Forge to edit the effects.
Audio interfaces come in many types of inputs: USB, USD3, firewire, or on board audio cards You would need one that has the number of outputs you would need. Mine has 8 outputs and allows me to use 6 on stage, one in the booth, and one backstage. I have an Audiofire 8 (no longer made) and a Presonus unit.
From the interface, you would go either to a mixer or directly to the amps or speakers.

Sorry I didn't mention it previously, but I'm looking for a dedicated hardware solution, essentially a bunch of mp3 players in a rackmount configuration.

I'm curious as to why you are looking for hardware versus software.

We already have a computer running sound, and my iPad for music, but for the ambient sounds I really just want something that will sit under the desk and forget about. A computer doesn't make sense. For the hardware you would need at least $500, plus another few hundred for software. All that just to run 3 or 4 tracks of audio, with out any control other then play and pause necessary.

How much home brew are you willing to do? You could use an arduino and/or raspberry pi with some external triggers.
Also possible would be a few SD-10 from Gilderfluke. If all you need is 2 or 4 tracks, 2 would work

I think that something like a few Denon DN-F300s would work, but I don't think I could justify buying 3 or 4 of them, or even 1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back