Murder On The Orient Express

Revbob

I am working on Murder On The Orient Express and I am trying to figure out how to best rig the door chain on Ratchet's room to work as a door chain and then break. Any suggestions?

Maybe this is crazy but.... depending on how far away you are from the Audience, could you install a regular chain holder thingy ( the part you slide the thingy into.) and then another below or above it? If you're far enough away you might be able to disguise it all as one, fancier, larger unit. make the second one a 'break away' either out of aluminum or steel flashing, or maybe even out of thin luan or Balsa. Obviously the break away would have to be replaced, but, what the heck, it's an Idea. Stop laughing! It could work....

Could you replace one of the links in the chain with a bread tie or something similar? I think that, a bent paperclip, or fake link made out of some solder could hold up to regular use but still break reliably when forced. I'll be building this show this summer, so please come back and update us when you find a solution. ;)

I just closed that show. We made the whole thing out of 1" tube steel and because of the way we set the doors (3 sharing one end of a frame) I didn't have room to put the chain. The actors just played the door was locked by the handle. Thanks, set design for figuring it out for me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back