Music Man Junior

I am a volunteer parent who helps with makeup and set design. Does anyone know how to build the train car in Music Man Junior cheaply? I have two guys to help me and they are somewhat knowledgeable about set design.

The production is in July but we wanted to get started soon since we have to do other things for the play. The performance ages are 11 - 15.

Thanks

Jamison

Define cheap?

Fast
/ \
Cheap -- Good

Pick two.

I'd start with a 4x8 piece of 3/4" CD ply, frame one side of it with 2 or better 1x4 with stringers every two feet. Install a set < 2> of straight < non swivel> casters on one end of the framed side, and a set of swivel in the middle and opposite ends of the platform. Now flip it over. Build two 4x8 Broadway flats, but cover them with 1/8"< cheap> or 1/4" <good> luan, which is usually available at Home despot or Lowe's or wherever, 'though you'll probably need to ask for it as "Door Skins"
Make sure to set you toggles at heights compatible to cutting a "window" into each flat. Paint the flats and the platform their base colors. Attach, by screwing through the bottom rail into the framing of the platform, the flats to the upstage side of the platform. Go to Harbor Freight, buy a couple of cheap "wrought Aluminum" garden benches. Assemble benches < good luck> place one bench in the "middle" of each flat, perpendicular to the wall. Figure out a good place to screw through the back of the flats, preferably through a toggle, into the ends of the seat slats of the garden bench. Screw the feet of the bench to the top of the platform, Have your kids sit in the bench. Mark an appropriate to place to cut a window into the middle of each flat. Cut out the window and frame it with 1x2 adding Mullions, if you want.
That's a quick and dirty way. 'Course you could also add a shelf over the top of the benches, with Wrought Iron looking shelf Brackets. You'd need to add a piece of tubing <conduit> at each end of the shelf to run to the top of the platform to help stabilize the center of gravity.
Adding the straight caster to one end makes the entire unit much easier to steer, so it doesn't vector or slew off at an angle. If the unit is going to be stored in the wings and brought straight off and on then use all straight casters.

If it's for a middle school, go lo-fi and create a front engine car to show it is a train, and just get some benches to throw behind it. Use lights and sound to fill in the rest of the train look.

That's pretty much what we did when I did this show and it worked fine, especially because it was on for such a short period of time.

The most important question around this website is: What is your budget? To some $200 is a lot to spend to others $20,000 is a cheap set.

Thank you so much. I don't understand all of it, but I am sure my Male friends will. I mainly do makeup and help nail something here or paint something. I really like doing this aside from my paying job. It's very satisfying for me.

What other sets do you think we need for the MM, Jr?

Thanks,

Jamison

Budget? I haven't really thought about a budget. Probably $300 - 500 dollars for sets, maybe more if I can get the other parents to pitch in. All the other parents think this stuff just materializes. We worked so hard on Sound of Music in such a short time.

Jamison

Users who are viewing this thread

Back