Wireless Musicals and Microdots

So I am teching a musical with some dpa mics, and because the shop we got them from is a rental shop, they set us up with the microdot adapters to go with our ULXD's. I'm curious, does anyone have any advice or tricks to keep the microdots seated? I've tried doing a tape strain relief connecting the adapter and the mic line, but it just doesn't seem secure enough...

I've used a DPA d:fine mic on a Pastor for several years. Never had a problem with the Microdot adapter. I make a habit of checking it for tightness when deploying the unit, but can't remember the last time I found it even the slightest bit loose. I wouldn't worry about it.

Like FMEng, I find that giving a good hard tightening to the adapter before deploying the mic is necessary every single show. I also make sure to do a tight e tape strain relief loop. This took care of any problems I had with these mics in musicals with heavy dancing.

With DPA's on a musical, your bigger point of failure will be the plastic strain relief on the microdot, and not the microdot into the adapter itself.

That being said, a good tightening when you bang through the mics pre-show is a good first step. Secondary steps might be an e-tape loop as mentioned, or a hellermann sleeve over the connection point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back