Must have gadget

ScaredOfHeightsLD

So I was browsing through some past issue of Live Design and I came across this article about what designers always carried with them. Weather it be at their tech table or just on a day trip. What is that one gadget you just can't live without? It can be as simple as a bottle of water or as complex as a laptop. I think that if we all toss out ideas that amongst some of them each of us should find something where we can say "DUH why didn't I think of carrying that?!?" So yeah, basically just throw anything down that you like to have with you on productions and hopefully we can all pick up a new item or two.
-Mike

As a designer, my laptop, and a color coded group chart for the show, that has the text highlighted in the gel color of the group. I also always have the latest Rosco swatchbook and the Apollo gel conversion chart when the venue has anything other than Rosco.

As a general technician, my leatherman, a 5-in-1 wire stripper/crimper/cutter/needlenose/screw chopper (jameco sells 'em), a paint marker, and my Streamlight. Also a 25' or so hank of parachute cord with a small spring clamp on the end of it to haul up gel when the gel person for the rig forgets to bring the cuts for my electric/beam/boom up. This also works for frames, gobo holders, twofers, and 5' stagepin.

I always have my laptop on me, along with gel books for Apollo, Gam, Lee, and Rosco, a small rigging kit (for training porposes), two black pens (always on my person), Gerber spring assist open knife (super sharp and great for one handed work), and my graphing calculator for any random equations i need to do. I also carry two pairs of work gloves, along with all the tools in my toolcase (goes to where i am going to be stationed from and sits there, or sits in my car).

Wireless Router, also to be installed to the location i am working in for use during tech.

My camera is also rarely far off, usually in my car unless i know im working on something i want photos of or a photo call night or final dress of a design.

* General *

Earplugs: To save what is left of my hearing from sound checks and whiny clients

Advil: To ease any headaches I still get from sound checks and whiny clients

A lanyard holding; small flashlight, a small pocket knife and a small roll of athletic tape: Which are generally used for repairs and tiny emergencies but which, in a pinch, can be used to threaten and bind whiny clients

One tube of mycetracin: For all first aid needs (everything from gashes to gig, er, tush - if you can't fix it with a hefty smear of mycetracin, 6 advil (or whatever the 24 hour max), and athletic tape you belong in a hospital)

* Technician *

A small Leatherman type tool and a pocket multi-meter (the meter is handy with whiny clients as well - put it on ohms, press the probes on their skin, and tell them it is a pocket polygraph device)

* Designer *

A pocket note book and several pens/pencils, because I am now too old to remember everything I promise to whiny clients...

;)

-jjf

Designer/LD:

- Brain, turned on early with copious amounts of coffee, replenished throughout the day.

- Watch. To make dead certain I am where I need to be on time. Always.

- Laptop: And it's useless without software, so - Vectorworks 10.5 & 12.5, Lightwright 4, Emphasis OL, Expression OL, ETC CEMPlus, Net2 Config Editor, Unison Light Manager, Adobe Professional, Word, Excel, IE7, Outlook, Palm Desktop

- HP Laser printer w/ 11x17 capacity

- Palm Treo 700

- Assorted Rosco, Lee, GAM and Apollo gel books (or are they "Color Media Sample Books" ?).

- Assorted Gobo booklets

- Assorted pens, pencils, hi-liners, etc...

Electrician:

- Brain, turned on early with copious amounts of coffee, replenished throughout the day.

- Lightspeed wrench

- 8" C-Wrench (I tried the new Crescent 8" adjustable with the sliding thumb adjustment. It's heavy and generally a pain to use, especially in the dark)

- 4 way switchable tip screw driver - I prefer the type that has 2 different nut drivers as well, useful for Altman screws, among others

- Victorinox Champ Swiss Army Knife. It does everything.

- Leatherman Wave, for everything else

- Beckman true RMS digital volt meter

- 1 ea, of Edison to 2P&G adapters - M->F/M and reverse, as well as a 15w lamp-on-pigtail socket with 2P&G male plug (needed for adding a load to an SCR dimmer for testing)

- AA Maglite, LED flashlight (not happy w/ it, anyone got a good recommendation for an LED that's bright, adjustable, AA and about the size of a AA Mag ?)

- Petzl Zipka LED headlamp. Compact, works great, expensive

- Assorted carabiners, the real type, good for hauling ropes, attaching drop/work bags, etc...

- Leather gloves

- Glasses

- Hearing Aids (30 years in the business, listening to one-too-many loud audio system, as well as it runs in the family)

- Good work shoes. Currently New Balance 747 leather walking shoes, or the waterproof version. No heavy, steel toed, hiking boots for me. I don't do trucks no mo'.

- Northface clothing, Fleece sweaters as well as GoreTex jackets. Best there is, though anything by Columbia works well too. (Remember to keep receipts, all clothing is a tax write-off, as is pretty much everything listed above - including your cell phone).

I'm sure I'll remember other stuff later

Steve B.

This one made me think and I actually looked in my tool box to see what I had.
Everything I need to test for safety or do minor electrical repairs (Aussie test and tag rules) including a small collection of different multi tools (its a bit of a joke by my grown up kids new multi tools seem to be given to me on birthdays etc. I even have a 19th century farriers tool in my box).
Minor dressings and headache tabs.
Lee Numerical and designer swatch books.
Various sharpies and grease pencils
assorted size a and b gobo's (mostly breakup)
1 pair of UHF walkie talkies (just cheap ones but surprosingly useful)
A copy of Francis Reid "The Stage Lighting handbook"
An a4 blank pad and a scale rule and an old fashioned strand fixture stencil
and obviously for any particular show the rig plan patch list colour call and fixture list all on laminated paper.

Last edited:
as a TD at tech rehearsals:

1 legal pad
1 pencil behind left ear
1 pen usually being chewed on
1 squeeze light
1 binder with the rest of the notes in it
Several large cups of coffee.
1 pair needle nose vice grips clamped on my right ear to keep me from falling asleep.

Wow lots of good stuff here to think about adding:

I do some occasional overhire work at a nearbye highschool performing arts center. I can be called on to do anything from run the fly, house manage, hang and focus lights, or help the band/orchestra/ballet group set up their gear. So I have my "Ninja Bag" with a little bit of everything:

-Leatherman Wave
-Mag lights, one new LED clear, one old style double geled to extra dark purple color
-spare AA batteries
-C-wrench on lanyard... buy some of the old style coiled telephone handset cord, cut and tie tightly on end of C-wrench, a biner on the other end, and heat shrink tubing to secure the knots in the cord and make it all look cool.
-"Backstage hand book"
-4-in-1 screwdriver
-Small spool black tie line
-Roll of gaff
-3 rolls of spike tape
-Scissors
-Gel Swatch books
-heavy leather gloves and light weight mechanic's gloves
-A few band aids
-roll of black e-tape

Well, sitting infront of me right now at the tech table... and what I don't leave home without...
My nalgene
laptop
USB number pad
USB hub
Xconnect dongle
old original intellimouse with mousepad
one tripple tap
My littlelite
Legal pad/clipboard
Binder with all the good stuff in it
PH-88 Headset

And back in the workroom... otherwise known as what lives in the trunk of my car when not in a show...
MSA riggers harness w/ lanyard
All my gel books
Clench Wrench
various needle nose
various screw drivers
various wire strippers
cat5 crimper
altman wrench
pin slitter
lampcheck/power check
few rolls of reciept tape for pipe tapes
who knows what else is in the bottom of that bag.

Last edited:
- clipboard
- writing pad (8 1/2 x 11)
- pencils/pens
- mini-maglight

(my duties are mostly SM)

Joe

Besides the obvious

>Leatherman Wave
>5/8" ratchet wrench (never move lights without it.)

Leatherman, maglite, cellphone, digital camera, 2 permanent markers, white ABS tape, black gaffer, wallet, hammer, petzl headlamp.

Guess i'm a little old fashond. I carry in the bed of my truck my big freaking work box which includes but not limited to
- Large array of screw drivers, pliars, wire cutters, and wrenches
- Assortment of wire and connectors
- Wire crimpers (Cat 5, terminal, and coax)
- Pin splitter
- SCR's for most dimmers
- Assortment of circuit breakers and fuses (dont forget the little fuses for moving lights, they are good at blowing at the worse times)
- Logic board and power supply boards for the moving lights I will be using
- Mulitmeter with clamp around ammeter
- Alligator clips
- Soldering Iron with solder and cleaning pad
- Sawzall
- Grinder
- Chain and shackles
- DMX cable
- DMX 5pin to 3 pin and 3 pin to 5 pin adapters
- Bolt cutters aka. Keys to the City (have been used numerous times)
- Flashlight with spare batteries
- Graphing calculator (makes setting dip switches easier)
- Paper, pens, pencils, sharpies
- Razor knife
- Spare lamps
- Spare motors and driver chips for moving lights
- Gel books (All up to date with Rosco, Lee, Gam, Apollo)
- Then when I feel like dealing with it and it decides to actually work, my handshake
- I ALSO FORGOT A HAMMER. THEN WHEN I AM IN A REALLY BAD MOOD I BRING THE SLEDGE HAMMER :D.

Once i get my new work box it will include
Refrigerator, Coffee Pot, Ice Tea maker. Microwave, and hot plate. (also cyberlights (turbos are even better) work great for heating up pizza, just set two across from eachother with pizza in middle, and put cybers in setup mode and manually move mirror so it is aiming directly at the pizza. About 5-10 min later pizza is nice and hot. Par cans also work, but cybers are more fun.

Last edited:
I ALSO FORGOT A HAMMER. THEN WHEN I AM IN A REALLY BAD MOOD I BRING THE SLEDGE HAMMER :D.
I think you must have some very interstring mornings in the theater you work at. There are very few things you can use that for except maybe causing harm to the person who put you into the "bad" mood.

Well the only things I personally own is a good sharp knife and a pair of leather gloves.

Last edited:
Designer/LD:
- Laptop: And it's useless without software, so - Vectorworks 10.5 & 12.5, Lightwright 4, Emphasis OL, Expression OL, ETC CEMPlus, Net2 Config Editor, Unison Light Manager, Adobe Professional, Word, Excel, IE7, Outlook, Palm Desktop
- HP Laser printer w/ 11x17 capacity
- Palm Treo 700
- Assorted Rosco, Lee, GAM and Apollo gel books (or are they "Color Media Sample Books" ?).
- Assorted Gobo booklets
- Assorted pens, pencils, hi-liners, etc...
Electrician:
- Lightspeed wrench
- 8" C-Wrench (I tried the new Crescent 8" adjustable with the sliding thumb adjustment. It's heavy and generally a pain to use, especially in the dark)
- 4 way switchable tip screw driver - I prefer the type that has 2 different nut drivers as well, useful for Altman screws, among others
- Victorinox Champ Swiss Army Knife. It does everything.
- Leatherman Wave, for everything else
- Beckman true RMS digital volt meter
- 1 ea, of Edison to 2P&G adapters - M->F/M and reverse, as well as a 15w lamp-on-pigtail socket with 2P&G male plug (needed for adding a load to an SCR dimmer for testing)
- AA Maglite, LED flashlight (not happy w/ it, anyone got a good recommendation for an LED that's bright, adjustable, AA and about the size of a AA Mag ?)
- Petzl Zipka LED headlamp. Compact, works great, expensive
- Assorted carabiners, the real type, good for hauling ropes, attaching drop/work bags, etc...
- Leather gloves
- Glasses
- Hearing Aids (30 years in the business, listening to one-too-many loud audio system, as well as it runs in the family)
- Good work shoes. Currently New Balance 747 leather walking shoes, or the waterproof version. No heavy, steel toed, hiking boots for me. I don't do trucks no mo'.
- Northface clothing, Fleece sweaters as well as GoreTex jackets. Best there is, though anything by Columbia works well too. (Remember to keep receipts, all clothing is a tax write-off, as is pretty much everything listed above - including your cell phone).
I'm sure I'll remember other stuff later
Steve B.
A good 30 dollar LED flashlight is the streamlight Jr. Luxeon LED flashlight. Other wise you could spend some more money on a Surefire L4 or L7 Lumamax.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back