Must-Have Upgrades

Tyler Lindsley

Hi All,
We are currently in the process of writing a significant grant to use to improve our theater space. What are your MUST-HAVES for a project like this? Feel free to add anything I may be overlooking. We already have good bones: new DMX runs, new dimmer distribution, entire new sound system, coms, LED lighting, new curtains, rigging, etc; so we are just adding to the existing systems.

Things I'm looking at right now:
- Additional lighting fixtures - 5x moving lights, additional source fours and LED washes, new followspots
- Accessories to further enhance existing lighting package (top hats, gobo holders, etc)
- Lavaliers to replace our Countryman E6i's that are too fragile for K-12 theater abuse
- Additional stage monitors
- Backstage monitoring
- Acoustic Treatments

Thanks!

I think someone asked this almost identical question a few months (or years?) ago. I start with basics: building and fire code, quiet, dark, intimacy, stage floor, sufficient power (becoming a non-issue with LED) , sufficient overhead structural support. Sightlines and audience comfort next. Technical circulation and access (catwalks for instance). Then start looking at the systems and equipment, with good infrastructure for lighting and rigging. I don't do AV so leave that to others.

No sense adding gizmos to end up with lipstick on a pig.

Our space is sufficient, our buildings and grounds department takes great care of everything. Just had a gut and refit in 2017, so everything is up-to-date and maintained. We are lacking backstage space and fly space, but, who isn't...

This specific grant doesn't cover capital costs, just purchase and production supply costs.

Hi All,
We are currently in the process of writing a significant grant to use to improve our theater space. What are your MUST-HAVES for a project like this? Feel free to add anything I may be overlooking. We already have good bones: new DMX runs, new dimmer distribution, entire new sound system, coms, LED lighting, new curtains, rigging, etc; so we are just adding to the existing systems.

Things I'm looking at right now:
- Additional lighting fixtures - 5x moving lights, additional source fours and LED washes, new followspots
- Accessories to further enhance existing lighting package (top hats, gobo holders, etc)
- Lavaliers to replace our Countryman E6i's that are too fragile for K-12 theater abuse
- Additional stage monitors
- Backstage monitoring
- Acoustic Treatments

Thanks!
@Tyler Lindsley New follow spots; what throw distance?
Have you seen the new Altman LED follow spot in @gafftaper 's current NAMM show report?? Very much worth a look see. Gaff' included several photos and a link for further details.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Last edited:
For followspots, since we have no dedicated FOH space - no booth or balcony (for consoles or spots) I am planning on using 14deg 750w source fours with handle and iris accessories from our catwalk. I've used this technique in other venues I've designed in and it has worked great each time. Cheaper too! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back