Muting a line level signal

jds10011

I'm sure this is the "wrong way" to do this, but I'd appreciate an answer to my question (you can also tell me this is the wrong way) -- advance apologies. We have a few speakers on an old amplifier in the rack that are fed from a very old system that we don't really want to monkey with (and only has a few inputs, but many outputs). On occasion, we need to mute the signal to these speakers for just a few minutes (it's probably best not to explain why). The current solution is to send someone to power the amp off and back on, but obviously this is silly. Since it is a line level signal (over XLR) that feeds the amp, I'm wondering if there is a device that could be used to just mute this temporarily (obviously, without making a loud pop). Suggestions? I came across this device, but have no experience with it: https://www.rdlnet.com/product.php?page=153

I'm sure this is the "wrong way" to do this, but I'd appreciate an answer to my question (you can also tell me this is the wrong way) -- advance apologies. We have a few speakers on an old amplifier in the rack that are fed from a very old system that we don't really want to monkey with (and only has a few inputs, but many outputs). On occasion, we need to mute the signal to these speakers for just a few minutes (it's probably best not to explain why). The current solution is to send someone to power the amp off and back on, but obviously this is silly. Since it is a line level signal (over XLR) that feeds the amp, I'm wondering if there is a device that could be used to just mute this temporarily (obviously, without making a loud pop). Suggestions? I came across this device, but have no experience with it: https://www.rdlnet.com/product.php?page=153
@jds What is your line level source and is it balanced? If your source can tolerate it, drop a short across it when you want to mute and remove it when you want to unmute (Same way you'd mute a microphone). It could be as simple as a small slide switch housed in an XLR3 barrel. RDL markets quality, reliable, products.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

The quick answer is "yes, Virginia, there is a free lunch, you are eating now; may I get you a napkin?" (-FZ).

RDL makes all kinds of helpful little devices. Most all of them need an external power supply (which can run more than 1 module, usually).

Some output stages won't be happy with a short across the line. That's an old trick used for muting microphones, which are different because phantom cannot be interrupted, and they have resistor build-outs.

You could use a DPST switch inserted in the audio pair. Leave the circuit shield intact. A 10K resistor across the output and input will minimize the chance of a pop from the DC blocking capacitors inside the equipment.

If you don't want to wire a switch, the Rolls ILC19 would be another way to do it.
Rolls ILC19

Last edited:
1654125488251.png

Can be DPDT relay or DPDT switch. Zo is the minimum load that the source device can drive, 600 ohms for most pro line level gear, but 1K resistors will do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back