Automated Fixtures MX-10 Extreme

As far as scanners go, I have used all three of Martins' MX series of automated scanners. There are all based on the came principal, the MX1 and MX4 (discontinued) are the same light only the MX-4 has a brighter lamp. As far as the MX-10 extreme goes, its slightly bigger and contains a 250w lamp. It all depends on what your application is, where I prefer the Trackspot for larger applications. To be honest with you, I would much rather use a ML anyday than play with scanners. If you can tell us what your applications are, that will make it much easier for us to help.

We'll be using it mainly in our Christmas productions. This coming year, we'll be using it for effect (i.e. gobo patterns on curtain, the filtered light w/ haze look, slight movements at climax etc). First and foremost I want a quality product that is reliable.

The lights will be hung, (at the most), 20 feet above the front of the stage.

The obvious shortcoming with any scanner v. a moving head is range of motion. But they are typically quieter and faster than moving heads. The MX-10 is pretty decent. I think the output is greater than the trackspot. You might also compare it to the Technobeam. However, if it's a scanner you want, I'd rather have the Elation 575 or Martin 918. Unfortunately, neither is made any longer so it's used market only.

I used 10 MX-10 at a club. They worked pretty well. Unfortunately, they got hung in the club before the drywall and the hardwood floors were installed, so there was all kinds of dust in them. Most wouldn't focus at all, but that wasn't the fixture's fault.

I personally would prefer a technobeam over the MX-10, especially the iris version.

If you really only see using moving lights for your christmas show it doesn't seem to make sense to buy fixtures. You can rent better fixtures for less money on an as needed basis. It will save you having to maintain the fixtures and is much more economical in the long run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back