My Big Fat Obnoxious Keychain

ya, but that's the thing with having just a knife, i like to be able to pull it out and use it without having to dig around. If i need to cut something, i like to be able to do it now, especially when i'm on a ladder. And i'm really hard on knifes, and i don't want to destroy the blade on my gerber, it's a little more expensive to replace, granted the knife i like is a $30 knife so i'm not saving much money, but i'd rather buy a new knife every 6 month's than a new multi tool.

oh and on a side note, the sheath for a 2AA maglite is perfrect for holding most 6" c-wrenches.

oh i agree a knife is preferable, i am a boyscout so i know how handy it can be, but i would rather not be expelled and have to open the leatherman then the blade.

OldGrover said:
...In my job chest/toolbox : 4 inch grinder, circular saw, drill, cordless drill, air compressor, pneumatic nailgun/stapler, manual stapler, hammers, mallet, socket sets, wrench sets, screwdriver sets, extra screws, glue, extra staples/brads, nails, jigsaw, bit set, carpenter's square, speed square, duct tape, gaffer's tape, glow tape, clamps, more clamps, electrical tape (many colours), blue gels to cover lights backstage, flashlights, nightlights, chisels, 3 or 4 tape measures, a pack of mechanical pencils, neon sticker sheet with 'Grover' on them - to label tools, drinks and cute actresses/prop mistresses as my property - and chalkline with extra chalk...

That was really funny until I realized you didn't say "On my chest/in my toolbelt..."

ya, but it's not really worth the effort to wait 2 months to get one. I can't live without it that long. My knife is a gerber too, i really like it.

are the black one's more expensive?
i have a regular 600 and it was only $50, and it was near christmas when i bought it, and it came with a ridge knife to.

Ya, I think i mentioned this before, but it was asked again, knives of any kind are a Big NO NO at my school, even multi tools. Ya, if we need to cut something, it's pull out the sisors, or run down to one of the shop classes and hope the teacher is there. I guess it's a good thing we dont do a ton of stuff like making sets where we really have to cut stuff often. we mostly cut gels anway, and those are best cut with sisors if you ask me.

actually what i like best for cutting gels is the big paper cutters with the machette arm. you can mark out the sizes of all the gel frames, and cut all you need quickly without having to trim, and make measurements.

Hey ya, that does sound like a good idea! now I just have to find me a papercutter! lol, I think there might be one in the copycenter, but i really doubt I can get my hands on it, I might have to go take a field trip next time i need to cut lots of gel! Thanks for the great idea! I had never thought of using a papercutter for gel!

A thought from using a variety of paper cutters to cut gels:

If you haven't used the particular paper cutter before or in a long while, I'd get a scrap and put it in and see whether you get a good cut. I've found that unless the blade is extremely sharp, it just crushes the gel down into the groove whole and knicks it up, making a bigger mess than when you started.

There are a couple of very large paper/material cutters here in the art rooms and I made the assumption that because one worked marvelously the other would work just as well ... bad idea.

For the most part I can cut everything I need with a utility knife, grease pencil, and a gel frame as a template just as quickly as setting up my lines on the paper cutter and messing around with that..

I keep this one in my belt http://www.stanleytools.com/default...1&SDesc=6-5/8"+Sport+Utility™+Knife.

It has a 3" blade, as well as a replacable tile cutter knife. Very handy for cutting tape as well as gels, since there's an extra blade inside the handle which means a good gel cutting knife.

But mostly I deal with moving lights, which means I also have http://www.wingnutspanner.co.uk/pageone.htm

and a gator grip wrench http://www.toolsforstagecraft.com/n317.htm

and a maglite of course. All of it stays on a toolbelt rather than going in the toolbox.

Plus, I carry a lot of oddball stuff in my toolbox, which is more workbox size. Board tape, toothbrush, powerbars, bandaids, antacids, imodium (ever eat a bad meal right before curtain?), zip ties, magazines, dmx tester, 3-5 pin converters, friction tape, electrical tape, hammer,

Here's how ridiculous schools have gotten about sharp objects at schools:

quoted from WPVI.com
December 11, 2004 — A 10-year-old girl was slapped in handcuffs and taken away to a police station this week for brining a pair of scissors to her Philadelphia elementary school.
School district officials say the girl hadn't threatened anyone with the 8-inch shears, and was keeping them inside her schoolbag.

But under school policy scissors are considered weapons and are banned from school grounds.

Administrators suspended the fourth grader for five days and called police, who took her away in a patrol wagon.

Her mother, Rose Jackson, says she is outraged at the way her daughter was treated.

She says the girl had no idea what she did was wrong.

Police say the decided not to charge the girl with a crime, and let her go. She could still face expulsion to a disciplinary school.

Followup: The initial 5 day suspension was pared down to 2 days. The mother is considering a civil lawsuit.

There are a lot of things I would love to comment on about this ludicrious situation, but I think I'll hold my tongue and hope the school officials are asked to resign following the embarresment of Philidelphia's school system.

That is, to put it bluntly, utter anal buerocratic stupididty. What's a ten-year-old schoolgirl going to do with a pair of scissors that are in her schoolbag? Perhaps she might do something as terrible as cut some paper, or maybe even, god forbid, a piece of cardboard! I can tell you, little girls with scissors scare the hell out of me, I don't know about you, but, whew. I bet they were safety scissors too.

I tell you, people who bring school supplies to school should be disciplined. I remember in grade three when I got into trouble for not having a pair of scissors in my school bag! And now a kid's suspended for having them. Morons.

as far as the papercutters go, I designed a long low rolling cart we built with shelves and drawers underneath for cut and uncut gel storage. It's actually a pretty ingenius solution. I planned for a rubber cutting mat to be glued to the top of the cart with the common gel sizes marked out on it already for easy pre-cut marks with a grease pencil . The plan was to mount a machete style paper cutter flush with the surface of the cart. The cart was to be 34" high if I remember right and 6 feet long and as wide as the biggest papercutter we could find.

when i was in middle school several kids got supended for having those plastic knives you get in the lunchroom

when i was in middle school several kids got supended for having those plastic knives you get in the lunchroom

You mean the kind that break whenever you try to cut anything? Wow, dangerous stuff!

Read carefully, the scissors were 8 inch shears. These were probably the old style friskers that are indestructable.

Oh, sorry Dave, that must have not registered in my mind. That changes it, since they clearly weren;t school supplies. But still, a ten year old girl? Suspended? Come on.

my mom's friend's kid was suspended and sent to a psycologist in i think 4th or 5th grade for playing a game on the playground that involved some sort of military type thing and saying "im gunna kill you" 1) the kid was a little nerdy kid with a lisp and 2) he was playing a game. if that is not rediculous i dont know what is. but anyway, back to the topic at hand, dave do you have pictures of the cart u made for gels? and if anyone does manage to obtain a paper cutter, i would reccomend locking it up somewhere or it will end up in a classroom!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back