My Big Fat Obnoxious Keychain

My guess is that schools have to take these severe actions because they are afraid that either the kid who brought it, or some other person, could turn it into a weapon. And then someone gets injured. And the school district has to spend more money on lawyers to defend itself from possible criminal and certainly civil action. They have to maintain zero tolerance because it is just too risky for them to have anything less.

As a parent, I have to sign stuff agreeing not to send my kids with anything that can be considered a weapon (and they always put in "including, but not limited to ..."). So they can say they did everything they can to prevent stuff like that.

JahJahwarrior said:
what are thr rules on knives/multitools at school?

One of the craziest was a rental that I worked on in a school last year. (My theatre company maintains a running list of techies that they 'rent' out to people - its great, keeps us in a job...)

This school's policy was absolute zero tolerance on knives and blades, and thus we had to have our toolboxes locked at all times. What was really stupid was the fact that we weren't allowed to carry around the keys - one set at home, one set with the school janitor, not really a trustworthy person but always on site.

You would think that if we're walking round in shirts that say
STAGE CREW in big black letters, people would understand that we need blades in our toolboxes.

Aside: The same applies for public transport (in NSW, Aus.) You can have knives and blades in a toolbox, but it has to be secure, and you also need to have applied for a small card from State Transit which identifies you as a professional with potentially dangerous tools.

You gotta remember that after some rehearsals you DO feel like killing someone... perhaps it's for the techies own good?[/u]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back