My first theatre job

$8.50/hr doing carpentry at the community college I attend. Up to $14 in about 2 years.

I was paid $35/week for being a stage manager at the dinner theater. I was making about that it in tips a night for serving drinks. Let it suffice to say I was happy to be a waiter. When I was being a roadie and running a spot, I was getting about $30 a show. Of course the minimum wage was maybe $2/hour and there were things like gas wars.

$33.50 a week in NYC as an Equity chorus dancer. 1958. Yeah, for those of you who do math, I was 14. So!?

Last edited:
My first job was in the high school theater at $15 an hour just because the guy doing the show was a cool guy and was happy with what we did for them. The rest while in high school were $10 an hour. Then it was down to $9.22 when I got my first professional call.

17/hr doing electrics was my first professional gig

My first job outside of school work was lighting designer and board op for children of Eden my sophomore year of college, for something like $300. That is if we don't count working as a monster for cedar points halloweekends. Which is still one of the best jobs I've had since I was being paid to get made up, get in character and harass people.

Via tapatalk

When I was in 5th Grade, a guy at my church did a full replacement to a modern sound system and asked if I wanted to help. I think his primary reason for asking me was that he needed someone smaller to crawl under the stage. We ran cables, installed XLR plugs all over, new amps, speakers, mixer. He taught me to solder.

My first real paid gig was in 9th grade when I got $5 an hour to run sound for the state championship of the spelling bee. That was big money for a 15 year old in 1985!

The year after I graduated from high school, my old drama teacher paid me $100 to come back to the high school and design and build a set for the big spring show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back