my first time(installation)

Sorry for the delay, I had a long weekend! :)

John McKissock of Clearlight Shows Pty Ltd, Melbourne has been selling the Apollo product line as an authorized dealer in Oz. You may reach John at

Clearlight Shows Pty Ltd
John McKissock
5 Horscroft Place
Moorabbin, VIC 3189

john at clearlight dot com dot au

www.clearlight.com.au

Hurrah! Yeah, the Alpha 300 series is perfect for your venue. Looks like you might get some of the first ones!

Look at Doug Fleenor Designs optosplitters and DMX mergers. Some of the best out there.
www.dfd.com

Yup, the apollo SmartColor 7.25's are exactly what your lookin for in terms of scrollers.

For power supplies, also get Apollo.
The SmartPower 150 will power 5 scrollers
The SmartPower 250 will power 8 scrollers
The SmartPower 400 will power 12 scrollers

Don't forget scroller cable.

The MP1-MP3 and MPU are denotations of what mounting plate comes with the scroller. If you're just going to be using the scrollers on Parnels and S4 zooms, then go with MP2 (7.5" mounting plate). But if there's a chance that you would be using these on fixed-degree S4's as well, get the MPU so that you can adjust between them, or order a second set of mounting plates when you order scrollers to fit your S4 fixed units.

Last edited:
Does the Apollo Smartcolour scroller 7.25 work on S4 Parnel?
What's the difference between the MP1 ~ MP3 and MPU?

The Mounting Plates for the Smart Color 7.25 are actually named from the largest size to smallest, with the following designation-

MP-1 is a 10 inch mounting plate for 10 inch PAR cans and such.
MP-2 is a 7.5 inch mounting plate for S4PAR, S4Zoom, Selecon Pacific, Altman 360, and other 7.5 inch PAR's
MP-3 is a 6.25 inch mounting plate for S4, S4Jr, Strand SL, Altman Shakespeare, and other 6.25 inch color frames.

Universal MP's are great for rental houses or venues that have lights with several different sized color frames, allowing greater versatility with existing color scrollers.

Yes, the MP-2 would be the proper mounting plate for use with a S4 PARnel. The SmartPower 150W has a 5 pin input (from the console) as well as a 5 pin output, which allows you to continue sending data via DMX cable to another fixture (moving light, fogger, etc). Bear in mind that any DMX reflection within the DMX loop COULD potentially manifest itself in the scroller rig. So be sure to terminate the DMX line at the end of the run.

(You wouldn't believe how many weekend calls I have gotten on my cell phone caused by DMX reflection WAY past the scroller circuit. Ugh... :/)

So, does using the terminator always solve the problem?
Or maybe hanging the SmartPower on the bar isn't really a good idea?

Hanging the SmartPower on the same pipe isn't an issue at all, it just makes good fiscal sense to keep your cable runs short and close to the scrollers.

Unusual performance within a DMX circuit is most often an issue of:
1) Programming or addressing error/s
or
2) DMX reflection caused by an unterminated DMX line past the scroller circuit.

Also, they aren't kidding when they say that the SmartPower 150 can power 5 scrollers, but only something like 200 fee of cable. I actually ran into this problem on our last show. It is always best to have your scroller PSU as close to the scrollers as possible. So, if you plan to have 2 scrollers on one side of the stage and two on the opposite and it is 50' across the stage you may want a second PSU or a higher wattage PSU.

The some physics governing 24VDC power for color scrollers and other effects also relate to my home in the country. The farther away from the power distribution substation, the more likelyhood of voltage decay along the way. Quality cable and connectors are very important for solid power transfer, but distance between the power source (psu in this case) and device (scroller in this case) will always play into the final equation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back