The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

My Garage Plot

Discussion in 'Lighting and Electrics' started by derekleffew, Mar 26, 2008.

1. derekleffew

derekleffew Resident Curmudgeon Senior Team Premium Member

With the acquisition of a Parellipsphere, my Garage Light Plot is now complete. I had to sacrifice my 436s, 4.5" Kliegl Fresnel, and Aluminum Altman PAR64, as they just wouldn't fit on the Unistrut. Next I'm going to pick up a cheap "shoebox" dimmer so I can at least drive the ERSs. Stay tuned for Experimental Theatre in Derek's Garage!
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2008
  2. Footer

Footer Senior Team Senior Team Premium Member

A bit too much time on your hands?

3. gafftapegreenia

gafftapegreenia CBMod CB Mods

Prop-tart
    Derek, how long did that take?

BIGGER! I can't read the notes!

Oh, found it on your blog. I see you keep them separated by family so they play nice.

4. derekleffew

derekleffew Resident Curmudgeon Senior Team Premium Member

Well, yes and no. I had a day off and am still teaching myself VW. This is my second plot from scratch.

About an hour to get it drawn, then about four hours figuring out how to edit the symbols, as I couldn't find stubby ParCans, and many symbols had two different lineweights, and the Parallipshere had the wrong zoom range.

Yes, had to keep all the manufacturers together. The Westlite 8"FS has no guts, so it's purely decorative, so the 4.5" Kliegl may take it's place (would fit better too), except I've already made a desklamp of it! Maybe the Westlite would make a better lamp?

Here's something interesting: On the aluminum Altman PAR64, which is exactly like the steel version, the lamp ring is asbestos coated. Anyone ever run into that before?

5. DarSax

DarSax Active Member

Parellipsphere ;)

6. porkchop

porkchop Well-Known Member

My favorite part is that the manufacture for the LED Par64 is ebay.

On a side note, I really need to learn VW.

7. gafftaper

gafftaper Senior Team Senior Team Fight Leukemia

Theater Manager & T.D.
    Someone sent me a paper on starting to use VW a while back. I want to say it was either AVKid, Soundlight, or Pie... hmmm... I'm thinking it was Pie. Unfortunately I haven't had the time to sit down with VW and the cheat sheet myself yet. As soon as i get the shop set up and the pallet of Fresnels assembled.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2008
  8. Goph704

Goph704 Active Member

Derick, You are my hero. :grin: (Sniff)
    I want a Garage.
    P.S. - You might want to think about removing those asbestos tails, not being a big fan of cancer, I always recommend that. In the past I've always used a gloves and a face mask, and then soaked the tails in water. I'm not sure how effective that is, but it's worth at try.

9. JD

JD Well-Known Member

Hee hee! So I am not the only one with a light plot in the garage! Actually, it's a real cool way of getting the "feel" of a new fixture up close and personal.

<tangent>
    Asbestos. No question that if someone tells me that something can give me cancer I avoid it like the plague! That being said, I have to tell a small tale about where I live. It's near Ambler PA. What's the big deal about Ambler? Well, it was kind of the asbestos capitol of the free world! (or used to be.) The town was litterly built on the asbestos industry. I remember these huge white mountains near the railroad tracks, and when the wind blew, it was like a snowstorm! Yes... it was..
    Later the EPA came in and took care of the problem by running bulldozers all over the place and stirring up a blizzard! (shakes head) They finally covered over the whole thing with 6 inches of topsoil and went home, which is how it is to this day! Why Ambler isn't some form of cancer hotspot is beyond me!
    </tangent>

10. Pie4Weebl

Pie4Weebl Well-Known Member Fight Leukemia

That'd be me, pm me and I can dig it up for you if you want.

11. Sean

Sean Active Member

I think there are lots of people who could use that. Is there somewhere you could post it?

Thanks!

--Sean

12. porkchop

porkchop Well-Known Member

I know I could use any and all VW help, maybe a thread is in order....