The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

My god... they don't make this easy...

Discussion in 'Stage Management and Facility Operations' started by ricc0luke, Sep 21, 2005.

1. ricc0luke

ricc0luke Active Member

Anyone else tried to file a 1023 form to get the benifits of 501(c)(3)???
    Gezz... they really don't like to make things simple...
    And I really wish I had the money for an attourney...
    I suppose I'm gonna have to scrape it up somewhere...

Anyone else file a 1023??
    How long did it take for the approval?
    Did you enlist the help of an attourney?

2. jwl868

jwl868 Active Member

What a beast that form is (I looked at it on the IRS website.); you've got my sympathy.

I can't help directly. (The non-profits that I worked with already had the status/forms filled out.)

But looking at the questions on the form, it looks more like you need the organization's financial people (controller, treasurer, tax consultant, and/or CPA) to provide the assistance, not necessarily a lawyer.

Maybe the IRS website has a guidance document, too.

Or, search the internet for form 1023 help; there are probably some CPAs and tax consultants that provide guidance/help on their websites.

Some other considerations:

Do you and your organization absolutely need the non-profit status to function?

Does your organization fully understand the rights, responsibilities, benefits, and restrictions of being a non-profit? (I bring this up because I knew of a PTA (Parent Teacher Association) who thought that non-profit also included a sales tax exemption [no, someone has to pay it], and another PTA who let their end-of-the-fiscal-year account balance get too high and in violation of the non-profit rules.)

Is there an existing local, state, or national organization (with non-profit status) that you and your organization can join? (Okay, I recognize a loss of independence in that approach.) Is there an existing school organization (with non-profit status) that you or your organization can join? (Same thing, you may have to give up a certain amount of independence.)

Joe