Control/Dimming My Intelligent Fixtures Power Up When My Board Shuts Down

General
I'm a student at a college theater, and we have an incredibly annoying problem where a random number of our intelligent lights will power up as soon as our lighting board turns off.
Our Setup
  • ETC Eos Lighting Board
  • Connects to an ETC Net3 Show Control Gateway
  • Ancient ETC Dimmer Rack (pre-unison, I don't have the model)
  • A couple of ETC Net3 DMX Two Port Gateways distributing data to the intelligent fixtures
  • A Lyntec Motorized Circuit Breaker, controlling power to all the intelligent lights
  • 30~ Elation Design Spots & Washes
  • 12 ETC Selador LEDs
  • DMX Universes:
    • 1: Conventionals, connects to the dimmer rack
    • 2/3: Intelligents, connects to all the intelligent lights
    • 4: Lyntech, connects to the lyntec panel
The Problem
The addresses of the lyntech panel are patched into the board as non-dims, those channels are selectively added to a group (whichever lights need power for the show have their power channel added to the group), and we have a macro that parks that group at full (run manually).
There is an automatic shutdown macro that unparks the group. It runs immediately before the board shuts down. As soon as it's done the eos turns off. I've noticed a problem in the most recent Eos update where shutdown macros fire incorrectly; they won't wait for submacros (the unpark macro is called by the actual shutdown macro), to finish, and instead immediately move on to the next thing while the submacro is still working. However we were experiencing this problem before that, and the issue persists even when the shutdown macro runs correctly from a manual firing before shutting down the board.
When the board finishes powering off (all black screens, no lights on board) the lyntec panel will sometimes fire and switch on a random number of random intelligent lights. The lyntec panel does not indicate that they are on (from the green lights). Restarting the board and parking the suspect power channel at 0 does not fix the problem. The power channel must be brought to 100 (now shows up on lyntec), and then brought to 0. That powers off the lights, and the eos and lyntec agree that it is in fact off. But then shutting down the board after fixing it causes the issue again..
I've attached a showfile in case that might help anyone.
Help
Does anyone have any idea what our problem is? Have you experienced anything similar? I'm usually very good with complex technology, and I'm kind of at a loss for what's going on. The technical director keeps calling me in to fix it on my time. I need a permanent solution to this nonsense; so if anyone can provide anything useful that would be great!
-TCJ

Attachments

• 2015 - The Pillowman 2015-12-04 16-02-18.esf
    2.3 MB · Views: 298
Sounds like it could be a setting on your Lyntec panel, causing it to send power to those circuits when the DMX signal stops. I'm not familiar with any of the Lyntec products, but it could be a good place to start.

I agree with @zwolf59661 . I have had problems in the past where when I shut off my board static lights can start to flickr, so it is possible that when the board is shut off the lyntec is recieving some kind of "ghost signal". But you said it was on it's own universe so highly unlikely. The lyntec also could have a problem with how it was programmed to receive DMX. What is the model of your lyntec? You're best bet might be to call them...

I looked around on lyntec's website. You should have a breaker in your panel that is labeled as "sequencer power". Try turning this off for about 20 seconds and then re powering it.

This is a problem we've had before....
Do you have the power for your fixtures patched into the board?
If yes, when someone recorded the presets for the panel the power for the fixture could have been left on by accident.

This is a problem we've had before....
Do you have the power for your fixtures patched into the board?
If yes, when someone recorded the presets for the panel the power for the fixture could have been left on by accident.

We do have the power patched to the board, but we're way too old school to actually have a real preset panel. We have a one-button preset panel that only controls the house lights and has no way for us to reprogram. But yes, that would have been something to look at; I have made that mistake in other theaters.
Though now that I'm thinking about it, I should see if there's any difference when that button is active. We don't really understand how the system integration company wired it. It somehow runs through the dimmer rack and very old normal light switches. I don't think it will change anything, but I'll test it.

I looked around on lyntec's website. You should have a breaker in your panel that is labeled as "sequencer power". Try turning this off for about 20 seconds and then re powering it.

I will try this when I get in tomorrow and see what it does. My best guess is that the problem has something to do with the lyntec or the way it connects/receives DMX. So this could be promising. I'll let you know if it has any effect.

Another thing to look at...Are you turning off the power before you shut down the board....this could be cause the dimmers to error out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back