My Lighting System

JimP0771

Hi all

I figured that I would post a picture of my lighting dimmer rack. In a previous post I had pasted a picture of an Lee Colortran Status 24/48 light board that I had purchased to go with this system. . Unfortunately due to COVID the original building that my theater group called home for many years closed December of 2020 and I took back my Dimmer rack and put it in my storage unit you see here. There was going to be a chance that my theater group was going to be able to move into a new building and this dimmer rack would be able to get more use. Hence the reason I bought the used but in good condition Status 24/48 board to go with the system but unfortunately with COVID again that deal fall through as well. So as you see in this picture my Lee Colortran ENR 96 dimmer rack is now sitting in my storage unit. Lots of people ask me why don't you just get rid of all of this due to the fact it does not look like my theater company is going reopen anytime again spoon. The reason for that is. Not only was this lighting system at my theater it was also the lighting system that was at my high school and I learned lighting on it. My very first days of trying to figure out how a light board worked and what a dimmer mod is was while using this system while in high school. When the high school renovated the auditorium and put the system up for auction I jumped at the chance of bidding on the old system I knew how to use and won the bid. So it has sentimental value to me. Not sure if any other lighting people on here ever save old equipment for sentimental value reasons or not but I do. I am sure there will come a day when I say I need the space and I will make sure that the dimmer rack which is still good and has lots of life left in it goes to a good home where it will be well used. But for now it is all happy in my storage unit.

Attachments

• Lee Colortran ENR96 Storage unit .jpeg
    Lee Colortran ENR96 Storage unit .jpeg
    103.3 KB · Views: 184
I try to attach my sentiments to microphones - they take up less storage space and there's a chance they might get used... maybe. Kind of.

Yes I fully agree that it is a good thing that it takes up very little foot space and I get attached and sentimental to my microphones and sound system as well. I have both lighting and sound. I get attached to all of it. I am a strange person. But I don't see anything wrong with that.

Yes I fully agree that it is a good thing that it takes up very little foot space and I get attached and sentimental to my microphones and sound system as well. I have both lighting and sound. I get attached to all of it. I am a strange person. But I don't see anything wrong with that.

Jim, we thrive on "strange" here... just sayin'. ')

Haha. We all have our things, and there are quite a few collectors on this site - myself included. I always keep a few brown 360Q's hanging in my shop because they're the first lighting instrument I ever really saw way back in elementary school. They're nothing special, ubiquitous even, but they fascinated me enough to stick with this field for over 20 years. I owe them that, at least.

That reminds me, it's about time for me to service that exact lighting system. The school hasn't updated the lighting "tech" since it opened in '87.

Last edited:
Speaking of not updating.... had to service a lighting system at one of the local high schools a couple of weeks ago as quite a few stage lights and house lights were ghosting.
The two Electro Controls Quad dimmer racks were installed when the building was built in 1970. Probably the first time the racks had been touched. Only other problem was one dimmer
must have a short on it as the breaker would not reset and one blower fan a little noisy on startup. They got their money's worth on that system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back