My Mag-light Self Extinguished

icewolf08

CBMod
CB Mods
So sad, my mini-mag with nite-ize LED upgrade self extinguished :cry: Unlike any battery leakage I have ever seen, the guts of the light were so corroded the batteries would even com out with violent shaking and banging. I ended up having to drive a tek screw into the end of the top most battery and then yank it out with a pair of pliers. That totally finished of the insides of the mag, and I can't even get to the second battery. I have a photo, which I could post when I get home. Needless to say, I was bummed.

Guess it is time for a new light, not going to be another mag though. Thinking more along the lines of the Streamlight Twintask 2L. Gonna need a new holster though.

I curious as to the brand and age of the batteries, and an now going to check all of mine.

Duracell batteries, and they couldn't have been more than 3 months old (how I love LEDs!).

I always manage to lose flashlights, so whatever wal-mart has for around 15-20 bux usually fits the bill. The batteries might have just gotten too hot or who knows...

A warning to new parents. My boys have destroyed/lost my mags. I'm buying new ones. Lock em up! Also my Mag LED has gone funky on me. Don't know why but it is having issues with suddenly blinking on and off. Don't know what the problem is but I'm a little ticked off about it.

Gaff, have you tried taking the cap off and fiddling with the spring in the end cap, its a poor design and sometimes pulling it out will fix it, and if that doesnt work put in a new pair of batteries, cause when my batteries get low mine sometimes goes on and off.

Gaff, have you tried taking the cap off and fiddling with the spring in the end cap, its a poor design and sometimes pulling it out will fix it, and if that doesnt work put in a new pair of batteries, cause when my batteries get low mine sometimes goes on and off.
Exactly the problem, and they admit it.

What?! Alex! Surefire is surely for the win. I have the 9P. If you like LED go the 6P LED route.
I have no good reason to spend $100+ on a flashlight. Streamlight fishlights are just as high end as Surefire, without the pricetag. I have friends with Surefire flashlights, and they don't impress me any more than Streamlight. Also, as has ben mentioned, small flashlights have a tendency to walk away, break, or disappear, so why invest big bucks? That is one reason that I love Mag-lites, they are durable yet inexpensive.

Streamlight makes high-quality gear. I got the model that has the xenon/LED/laser selections, so that I can use the LEDs, the Laser or the Laser and the Xenon. The laser is great when I'm talking about something in the electrics and point to something and the person that I'm talking to doesn't understand what I'm pointing to. I think it was around $35.

Streamlight ftw. I have a Twin Task 3C and a Strion. Love them both. They don't stop working no matter what I have managed to do to them. Falls from 30+ feet, soaking wet, people using them as hammers, etc.

I never hand off the Strion, because it would walk as mentioned by others. Walking away with the 3C isn't an easy task however, it's large and silver. Looking at a SL-20X LED next for shining up on grids and cat walks in some of the places I frequent.

Can I suggest a surefire G2? 36 dollars shipped to your door, and you can get a LED module for it that is pretty darn bright. On your quest, you might check out candlepowerforums.com, lots of info about flashlights there.
-Max
I love people who push Surefire flashlights, they are like Mac owners (I am a Mac owner), they think that what they have/use is the best, and you should accept no substitutes. However, I still can't justify paying twice the price and not getting twice the flashlight. That, and my previous arguments still stand, while it is always nice to have nice things, I would rather not have to worry about a $65 flashlight (yeah dunno where you came up with $36, unless you don't count the cost of LED upgrade or just buying the LED version). I don't want to carry a flashlight that I have to worry about who I let borrow it, or if I forget it in the theatre overnight.

Now, of course if someone wants to gift me a nice new flashlight, I will happily use it, but in spending my own money, it just doesn't seem like a logical investment.

I still want to know what makes the SureFire so much better that warrants the additional cost. You can drop a mag light or run it over with a truck, I bet if I was really creative I could get the other batter out of mine and clean out the inside and it would still work, but to replace a mini-mag at $10 or less in any store makes it not worth my time or effort to fix it. So, the SureFires are brighter, so are Streamlights and many others. Durability, size, weight, and ease of use are probably about the same across the board, so in my eyes all you are paying for is the name. That just doesn't do it for me, I'll take the same quality at a lesser price and be quite happy.

Thanks, I just found out my SF has a lifetime guarantee. I should go drop it out my window now... :mrgreen:
So does your mag-lite! (Unless you live in the Eastern Hemisphere)

I love people who push Surefire flashlights, they are like Mac owners (I am a Mac owner), they think that what they have/use is the best, and you should accept no substitutes. However, I still can't justify paying twice the price and not getting twice the flashlight. That, and my previous arguments still stand, while it is always nice to have nice things, I would rather not have to worry about a $65 flashlight (yeah dunno where you came up with $36, unless you don't count the cost of LED upgrade or just buying the LED version). I don't want to carry a flashlight that I have to worry about who I let borrow it, or if I forget it in the theatre overnight.
Now, of course if someone wants to gift me a nice new flashlight, I will happily use it, but in spending my own money, it just doesn't seem like a logical investment.
I still want to know what makes the SureFire so much better that warrants the additional cost. You can drop a mag light or run it over with a truck, I bet if I was really creative I could get the other batter out of mine and clean out the inside and it would still work, but to replace a mini-mag at $10 or less in any store makes it not worth my time or effort to fix it. So, the SureFires are brighter, so are Streamlights and many others. Durability, size, weight, and ease of use are probably about the same across the board, so in my eyes all you are paying for is the name. That just doesn't do it for me, I'll take the same quality at a lesser price and be quite happy.

There is a great thread on that on the CP forums.

I'm not going to differ with you Alex, the SF lights are priced over what I feel is fair market value... Doesn't mean I don't like it!

So, quick question, how would I get a new mini mag? How many of my other tools have a lifetime guarantee? No one ever takes advantage of these, but that thread about monster cable did have a great idea about paying extra, but replacing all your cable every year.

I am a mini-mag person, with the single diode nite-ize upgrade. I also own a mac.

Duracell batteries, and they couldn't have been more than 3 months old (how I love LEDs!).

I had a very similar problem with my 4D Maglite. One of the batteries split and another has swollen so it cant be removed. The batteries were Duracell as well. This all happened within about a week of me no using it. I am going to send it to Duracell who have a garentee to replace any item damaged by their batteries. Now when you listen into the torch barrel, I can hear it fizzing away in there... Been doing that for over a week now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back