My platform system

Grew up with carpet and even carpet padding stapled to the backs of platforms and dutchman covered platforms with carpet padding under the muslin cover. Both were ratty in ripping or coming loose but structurally sound as long as the stud connections stayed together. Later in an earlier college I moved onto a system similar to yours but found that there was problems in our case of the ½" black fiber Celotex panels providing just enough gap that it allowed for extra sheer of the screws attaching top to rails. Could be a difference of #8 drywall screws these days verses the #6 I remember back than for such a length. Didn’t like that method either. Even seen some places that used fiberglass insulation under the platform which does have a much better STC value than all but is even less portable or easy to use.

At CSSI we used 5/4x6 poplar to make the frames and did not use padding, also the corners were supported by aluminum corner blocks designed to support and allow for up to 18" 2x4 legs. The corner brace support structures added to the under side of the platform added to support and reinforcement of the corner so they would not come apart. But such platforms were not padded.

In another college we built a stock glued platform where the glue bonds plywood to frame this does not in being a problem both for strength and for keeping it together but added the Celotex above the plywood with a Hardboard top to it. Worked well, a bit more heavy and the tops were less so than above prone to also sheer of it or damage. Frame was normally good, just the top with problems.

Kind of preferred this method in structure than padding.

Wondering if such a Celotex platform type might while less sound and shock absorbing, be better if attached under the platform in allowing the framing to be glued? This especially with corner block of some sort to reinforce it?

Granted legging if soft surface under it would be less efficient unless welded top plate corner block a leg fits into.

Good truss leg the truss leg system, certainly saves time over the countersunk sway brace truss legging I worked for in a third scene shop that used. On the other hand a bit more heavy unless ½" plywood. I tended in my own use to use the trussed legging other than for a single platform for the long run as a long and not duplicated between platforms sections all individual platforms more text book rested upon. Certainly easier to mount the truss first than install the platforms on it than as if individual platforms have a lot of extra support truss and all individual to each platform.

For legs, if say 18" or up to 36" leg, I might do a 2x4 with variable length 3/4" plywood double corner block pre-glued to it as wings. As opposed to a bunch of bullet holes in a 2x4 leg and what screwed into for weakening it, the 3/4" plywood corner block allowed for lots of re-use of hole or room for new holes and also a better distribution of places to screw into for fresh holes.

General concept is after 18", you need bracing. In my case after 12" for say ½" plywood I did bracing and had pre-cut legs with wings already installed. Up to 36" with a 18" or 24" corner brace in bringing it back down to 18" unsupported length, all I had to do was screw in the leg.

After that, I normally trussed the thing in while it took more time perhaps, it took a lot less under the platform in shimming etc. afterwards. Trussed the whole thing on like 48" centers. Easier also to truss the whole platform especially if a rake than to truss each platform individually.

On sound proof platforms if doing so, wonder how well in general a stress skin panel would do and how to work with such a thing if other than truss legging. I would think it the best and even lightest method of doing it. But also probably the most expensive way of doing it.

I had seen this and i am considering it BUT I was wondering how i should brace the bottoms of the feet and still make it reusable i was thinking using bolts at the legs and having boards circle the platform???

For your application, I wouldn't worry about sound proofing, get it structural and get it checked for proper. The corner bracing above would be good but I would not thru bolt it in either its going to remove platform material in countersinking the flat head screws or make for gaps between plaforms even if carriage bolts. I would drywall screw or Lag bolt in the legs dependant on what the manufacturer specifies. Than given a platform would brace the heck out of it in a structural way given higher than 36" platform length. A structure to be designed.

The above corner system was similar to what we made at CSSI only I remember a top plate, made of aluminum and made for #6 double head screws for nailing. No doubt they have switched to Triscit or stressed skin since than in completely new system. Is it stress skin with aluminum frame and ratchet lock most used in production companies now? Been a while for me in most of what I See has aluminum tubing corner leg supports.

Last edited:
This is slightly off topic, but has anyone ever built a platform using 2x2 16 gauge steel or something similar? I am interested in minimizing weight as much as possible and also expediency that a large platform could be assembled.

This is slightly off topic, but has anyone ever built a platform using 2x2 16 gauge steel or something similar? I am interested in minimizing weight as much as possible and also expediency that a large platform could be assembled.

Sure. For fixed, single-use platforms in my experience it's not usually worth the the extra cost to go with steel framing, though, and don't count on any weight savings until you actually run the numbers for your particular application. 2" X .083" Square mech tube, for instance, weighs 2.13plf versus about 1.28plf for 2x4.

Of course there are things you can build in metal that just can't be done in wood, and you *can* build thinner and stronger structures out of steel--but usually not lighter except in particular circumstances.

Granted, steel does become more attractive if you need rapid, repeated assembly, but only as long as all of your bolt holes are precise and accurate. And most importantly, don't forget that steel structures are only as good as the welds that hold them together!

Granted, steel does become more attractive if you need rapid, repeated assembly, but only as long as all of your bolt holes are precise and accurate. And most importantly, don't forget that steel structures are only as good as the welds that hold them together!

Yeah, my question is aimed at quick setting up and removal. During the summers I work for a sporting event management company. The way we run our events is, we usually will show up at midnight the day of the event and set-up until we start the event at 7AM and then strike our equipment at 8PM when the event finally wraps up.

Currently we use 4X8 platforms from wood which are incredibly hard to put together rapidly and are also very heavy, which is no fun carrying around on the beach.

You don't actually need 2x2 to build steel platforming. 1x2 or 1.5x1.5 makes great framing for steel 4x8's. I build plenty of these style of platforms over a given season. They hold up great. Another great reason to build this way is you can have very low clearance platforming. We build these with 1.5x1.5, attach 3/4 ply and maso. You can then put 2" casters on it and you have a platform that is only 3" tall. These "lowboys" do make a big difference onstage. They also make great furniture wagons.

All of the steel above are 16 gauge mechanical steel.

A buddy of mine, at a community theater with no welding gear, is really into uni-strut. He once used strut to build a raked stage. He said it was really solid and easy to deal with. In order to attach wood to strut you slide a piece of 1x2 inside the strut. Now line up whatever you want to attach to the front closed surface (open edge facing away with the 1x2 inside). Screw through the wood you are attaching, through a hole in the strut, and into the 1x2. Make a Strut sandwich! They also used this technique to build set walls with strut instead of Jacks. It makes REALLY solid walls without trip hazards.
proxy.php

Last edited:
It just reinforces my opinion of every "platform" my director who is an ex tech director makes is a death trap waiting to happen. they consist of a 2x4 frame for an 8'x4' platform with one support in the middle going from long side to long side then 4 2x4's for legs that is it. its made "stable" by putting more together... if you can get the image... imagine a table then replace the 3 bolts that they place in each leg with 2 1 inch screws then make it larger and out of cheaper wood. generaly pre cut stud pine... lowest grade (its cheaper says the director)

I know this thread was started a while back, but just wanted to say it has been very helpful for me. I am working on my first muli-level set. I have to construct off-site and our load-in is 5 days before opening. This platform design seems to lend itself well to pre-building the bulk and minimizing assembly on site. I have a lot of construction experience, but theater sets are relatively new to me. I tend to overbuild a lot so experience of those with more set construction background is really helpful in assisting me to trim costs and weight from my sets. Thanks everyone.

Here is the ULR for a series of 6 or 7 articles I wrote on platforms. I discuss different types and the pros and cons. Also is a discussion of legging methods. If you read them, be sure to click on "read More" to see the drawings and the whole article.

Platforming, things to stand on, stage decks, etc.

Last edited:
I use the Texas truiscuit method that MPowers outlines in one of his articles.

Platforming Article #3

To sum up: it's a 4x4 platform made with 1.5" 16ga square tube (sometimes I use 1/5" x 1" for the inner frame to save weight). Skin w/ 5/8" AC ply. Although I've thought maybe I should just use 3/4" to make the math simpler and because I have it in stock. Leg them up on studwalls. I also have 4x2s and some triangles. You can also make one-off bastards with wood 1x2 frames if you over-leg them.

I like them because they're light, easy to install and very durable.

Thank you for posting this system. I am the TD for a middle school production and am building a series of large moving platforms. My labor pool is primarily children, so fipping over a giant platform gets dangerous. I am constructing an 8'x12', 18" tall wagon, and a 12'x12' 50" tall rolling wagon. I am looking for alternatives to the 'build it and leg it upside down and flip it over method'

thanks!

-Alex

Thanks! We should sticky this, so it doesn't get buried again. :)

Thank you for posting this system. I am the TD for a middle school production and am building a series of large moving platforms. My labor pool is primarily children, so fipping over a giant platform gets dangerous. I am constructing an 8'x12', 18" tall wagon, and a 12'x12' 50" tall rolling wagon. I am looking for alternatives to the 'build it and leg it upside down and flip it over method'

thanks!

-Alex

Studwalls. Build a standard studwall like you would see in house construction instead of legs. Build the walls, screw them together, screw casters to the base, and then attach the decks to the top. Works great... and no flipping involved.

Gaff, when I get a big enough backyard, YOU are the foreman when I build the halfpipe.

Hello All,
For triscuits we use 5/16 or 3/8 flat machine screws counter sunk into each corner. Like these: McMaster-Carr

We also leave a penny-sized gap to avoid squeaking, and we screw 1/4" MDF or 1/4" maso (countersunk for screw heads, and also depending on budgets) for paint treatments, otherwise all are already painted black.

Cheers,
Nick

Last edited:
Wow, so 10+ years since this original post, but just wanted to say THANKS!! I'm a hobbyist (i.e., self taught) TD at a community theater and I used this system for our latest set. Cast is rehearsing on it now and say they've never had such stable platforms! Some pics here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back