My schools theater program

Smurphy

We have a very unique theater program in my high school. We have created thanks to our artistic director a fully functional theater company. We are non profit but hey it works. We are called OffBook productions. In this comapny we both deal with the acting part and my favorite the tech part. We learn thank god, first hand on everything. We do four shows a year three of which i have been TD for. In fact in one i was an actor and TD. So this amazing program is a great first hand learning experience that is teaching amazing actors as well as techs.

Sounds like a great program. Why don't you drop over to the New Member board where you can introduce yourself and post more info about who you are and what you do.

We have a very unique theater program in my high school. We have created thanks to our artistic director a fully functional theater company. We are non profit but hey it works. We are called OffBook productions. In this comapny we both deal with the acting part and my favorite the tech part. We learn thank god, first hand on everything. We do four shows a year three of which i have been TD for. In fact in one i was an actor and TD. So this amazing program is a great first hand learning experience that is teaching amazing actors as well as techs.
My high school theatre department operated in a very similar fashion. Called "Theatre Ink" they even have a very extensive website now. We did on the order of 10 shows in a season between two theatres. It was crazy, but lots of fun.

It's definitely one of the best ways to run a high school theater program. These days the arts are always the first thing to get cut. By running your own theater company you can protect a lot of the financial resources the usually get cut. Plus by becoming a non-profit in the eyes of the IRS you can generate new resources that are not available to you as just a school production.

Yeah, my theatre program runs as its own company we're called NorTHeatre. unfortunately, our auditorium gets rented out and all of our stuff gets damaged, and the school wants us to pay for it, its ridiculous.

Yeah, my theatre program runs as its own company we're called NorTHeatre. unfortunately, our auditorium gets rented out and all of our stuff gets damaged, and the school wants us to pay for it, its ridiculous.

You need someone to fight with the administration and say since renters are using your gear, they also need to higher your techs to make sure it is cared for properly. Either that or you put all the gear that was purchased by your theater company away somewhere before rentals come in.

It took some serious work on my part but I got that to work. I also got the student body to give me $100 a year to help cover the lamp use. Why should drama be held responsible for replacing lamps that are used more by building rentals and all school events?

yeah, and avoid church groups, despite being christian everytime they came to us our hall the turn the followspot on and closed the iris for two hours before the show "to warm it up" and "it's what we did with our followspot" and then wondered why it didn't work

sigh

gaff taper, thanks for that advice, i've actually been working on that for a while, i'm just still trying to figure out how to implicate it in the future... because admin will probably pay for lamps once... so like... a private contract saying to use the lights they have to pay a seperate fee per use... and drop that into a seperate account to purchase future lamps... do you think it would work?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back