Mystery Box What is it?

Hi Guys,
Thought I would have a little fun here and get Opinions going.
As we have been cleaning up in our storage room, we found this box sitting there. The original Stage Manager who was there when the building was built, past away a few years back, and from what I was told from the guy who worked with him, this was the only item he never did ask him about, and has been sitting in our storage room ever since.

Its a fairly solid piece which has been in cased in bubble wrap, and in that case, which has kept it in beautiful condition.
The maroon selection, in the center, starting from one side, curves outward towards the center and then back down again. The wood frame around that maroon center is a beautiful finished wood.
It has a metal frame back with 2 what appears to be metal legs coming from it, which are also steel cabled to the frame itself so it can only swing out so far on what appears to be a specific slant. Also on the end of the legs it has what appears to be U Hooks, to suggest that it was made to be hanging from a pipe/baton of some kind.

To get the ball rolling, we originally thought it was some sort of drafting table, although at closer look I don`t think thats the case. Another and maybe more stronger possibility is that its some sort of acoustical reflector, or maybe sample of one. On the box it does say handle with care and this side up, so it was thought to be important and have some value, just don`t know what it is.

Anyways as people have helped me with all sorts of things and questions here on this forum, I thought I would post this and have some fun with it, as its been quite the discussion, in our venue, with us and various other who come through.
See what you think, maybe someone here actually knows what this is, because we don`t, so any and all opinions are welcome.
Thanks,
soundguy99

Attachments

• IMG_1350.JPG
    IMG_1350.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 367
  • IMG_1355.JPG
    IMG_1355.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 367
Thought it was an organ bench at first... Is the maroon section Concave or convex? what'sa the material?

Hi,
The maroon section is convex shaped, almost like a long gated hump if that makes sense for a description. Staring from one end, (top/bottom), gradually curving outwards, towards the middle and then tapering back just a little at the other side.
Because of that kind of shape thats why we originally thought that it might be a drafting table, as well as the fact, that the original stage manager who I spoke of, was in fact a draftsman by trade, although looking at the legs, with the hooks and slightly different shape we dismissed that idea.
The maroon section feels like a lament cover over solid wood and of course the metal frame and legs.
The color although it would necessarily match the building colors it wouldn`t also look out of place either. The house colors are actually very classy traditional colors, white, Originally Bright Red, however now more dark maroon, and of course the dark brown wood. Very typical of a Canadian "Government" or City Building, if that makes any sense in terms of style.
The item itself other than Metal frame and legs has a very typical classy look to it with that light brown wood finish and maroon. Also not to sway one way or the other, but would look very similar an acoustic shell type look, which we do have, however our Wenger Acoustic shell was installed more recently ie about 1997, and the mystery Box predates that install, from what I have been told.
I don`t believe Wenger Would send out a sample of that size if it was any sort of acoustic shell sample.
So the mystery continues...
Thank guys for the replies, and let us keep scratching our heads.
If I get another chance I might open the box a bit more and take a couple more pictures to post.
Thanks,
soundguy

Last edited:
box.jpg

Some kind of tech table accessory? Do the hooks and legs work with the seats? Sort of goes with the drafting table idea, but a convex table??

More pictures might help.

Maybe it's a pew that goes with that stained glass window.;)

Definitely more pics, hard to get a sense of how those two shots are connected.

Hi Guys,
Heres a a couple more , see if that helps a little otherwise I will have to tale some more.
There is also a closer look at the end of the leg which shows the hook better.
At least to us it looks like it made to be hung from a pipe because of that hook, but don`t know what for.
The house seats are are completely different, so I don`t think it would go there.
On a side note the stain glass window is done really well however who ever created it used styraphone which is making it really fragile and falling apart..lol
Anyways hope this helps, and if I get a chance I will take a few more pictures although I am noit sure how many I am allowed to post...LOL
Soundguy

Attachments

• IMG_1351.JPG
    IMG_1351.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_1352.JPG
    IMG_1352.JPG
    187 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_1354.JPG
    IMG_1354.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 246
Hi Guys,
I Just realized something looking at these pictures,
Does it match the house colors or material in any way?
You weren`t completely off base, with that comment. Although there isn`t any of that maroon in the lobby or in the house, the stage doors, loading dock doors, and even the dressing room doors downstairs are roughly that exact color.
Which males me, think that either there was more of that color through out the building at one time, or at the very least someone was wanting to match that item to the building colors, or use that item to determine the building colors, sort of a sample iidea. But unfortunetley that doesn`t explain the legs and hooks, or even the shape of it. But the wood is also similar to the rest of the building although the stain is much darker of brown in the rest of building where that is more natural wood shade.
If that connection to the building colors are true then that would pre-date the Acoustic shell as the building was built in 1969, and shell later added in 1997.
I do know that when the building was being built they had an acoustical engineering firm from the US come in and not only do an assessment, but advised the design team to add acoustical elements into the room during construction. (hydraulic side curtains, bass traps, even a Black traveler curtain behind the wall at the back of house.
It is possible that the mystery box was used either as a sample of an additional acoustic element that wasent installed during construction, or used as a test item to assist the engineers with their acoustic assessment, although I don`t know if any company would build something like that for that specific purpose, but you never know. Back then they relied on Math and Physics, and didn`t have the advantage of using laptiop running smaart like we have today.
Anyways thanks for the conversation guys, Its definitely making me look at this from different angles.
The mystery Continues.....
Thanks,
soundguy

Do you now or have you ever had a hanging center speaker cluster? Could this thing hang behind it??

I'm trying to imagine what modifications a shell might need for some specific arrangement.

We have 2 Altec 9844a speakers one on top of another, just over the Orchestra Pit, Center stage, so kind of a center cluster. Its behind a steel mesh, with no "pipes" to hang from, so there would have to be some hanging points made to hang it. Also because the speakers are behind the steel mesh out of sight from the audience, it doesn`t seem likely that they would take that much care designing that item to be that nice looking, then hang it at a point, where its out of sight from the audience, but you never know.
Our acoustic shell is Wenger Diva acoustic shell, which contains 3 wall sections, 3 roof sections plus a back wall. and extends from the back wall to the presidium opening, which covers all of out overhead pipes. The speakers are over the pit which is another 5 or so feet in front of the presidium opening.
The other issues I have is that ithe shell roof when deployed covers all of my pipes, with very little room, to bring down another pipe in between sections (on occation we have brought down a pipe between sections to mount a projector too, but its really tight). Also visually it wouldn`t seem natural to have the shell set up, and have this square maroon piece hanging down within it.
Although it may not be in connection with the shell and meant to hang behind the speakers but bellow it. In a musical setting with a full Orchestra pit maybe it was designed as a acoustic reflector so that as the band played in pit, sound would project upwards hitting the reflector and then projecting it out to the audience. The issue I have with that thought is the obvious sight line issues, that may or may not be a problem.
Defiantly an interesting thought though.
Any and all thoughts are welcome, its interesting the different Ideas and directions this conversation about this item is taking.
Thanks,
The mystery continues...
Soundguy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back