Vintage Lighting Mystery followspot

derekleffew

Resident Curmudgeon
Senior Team
Premium Member
Anyone know the make/model/year of this spotlight?

unknown_followspot.jpg

Well, my guess is that it's a hell of a lot newer than those costumes would suggest.

Is that pouch on his waist for Carbons? Was that a thing?

Looking at the lamphouse, it's more like the Peerless Magnarc minus the exhaust on top. I note the lack of any light leaks around the lamphouse or the optical train. The curmudgeon in me suspects a props & LX dept build, with some CGI.

What's the source of this image?

Looks like something props built from a few old instruments. Maybe a PC spot and a studio fresnel.

I note the lack of any light leaks around the lamphouse or the optical train.
Hummm... Modern spot with a shell around it to make it look old? Now that I know it is from a movie, the concept of it being a prop enters the picture.

Hummm... Modern spot with a shell around it to make it look old? Now that I know it is from a movie, the concept of it being a prop enters the picture.
Yeah, that accessory holder or gel frame holder on the front is completely out of place on a spot, especially of that vintage. Given the costuming the entire thing would be square cornered, bulky, probably brown not black, thos handle/knobs are completely wrong and the 'holder' on the front would have been from thin flat metal.

Just happened to notice it in the Dumbo trailer and thought it interesting.

Just happened to notice it in the Dumbo trailer and thought it interesting.
It has that "CGI" look you don't notice while the picture is moving... but looking at that individual frame there are a couple of things that brought me to the conclusion it was some kind of composited image.

Look at the front half of the spotlight - the optical train, the stand, and then the operator - I think he's only real above the waist line (like Bert and Ernie). The near-photo detail of the man becomes more "watercolor-ish" right above the belt line, and that look is consistent with the rest of the frame. The stand is nearly photographic, as is the optical train... it gets fuzzy as you get to the lamp house. While the barrel isn't an obvious, existing spotlight, it's been crafted by the props dept out of whatever the electricians and grips left behind...

The light shaft from the spotlight reminds me more of rocket exhaust and it seems to be opaque. Nope.

At a glance, though, it's sufficiently familiar that most of us wouldn't have given it another thought. Thanks for the brain tease.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back