Myths vs Reality

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by bobgaggle, Sep 3, 2019.

1. bobgaggle

bobgaggle Well-Known Member

Shop Foreman
    As I gain experience in this industry I've begun to hear similar things repeated over and over. Myths or truths that spread around. Wanted to know if you guys had heard these or some other ones I don't mention:

I've heard a bunch of versions of the coffee stain story. As the legend goes, a scenic charge and designer had a bad working relationship and the designer was taking a long time getting a rendering of a drop to the paint department. When it finally showed up, there was a ring of coffee stain on it, and the disgruntled artist painted the stain into the drop. Other versions have the designer specifying a blue sky drop, without a swatch or color number. So the artist picks the nastiest neon blue she can.

Other legend is the luan one. Story has it that luan is so crappy because they just chop the trees down in Malaysia, load them onto the factory ship and the ship makes the sheet goods on its way across the ocean.

Anyone heard these?

RonHebbard likes this.
  2. Van

Van CBMod CB Mods Premium Member

Project Manager, Stagecraft Industries, Inc.
    I've heard the story of the coffee stain. Don't believe it; I think it's a wishful thinking legend. I do know there are factory ships for processing lumber Never hear of them making Luan only press board. and 'Crappy'? Luan is what is is.

I much prefer the legend of the Opera set which was installed on stage when the Director asked if the TD could move it 6 inches to which the TD inquired, "Sure, you want it $10,000 to the left or $10,000 to the right?"

TimMc, Michael K, RonHebbard and 2 others like this.
  3. TheaterEd

TheaterEd Renaissance Man Fight Leukemia

I once installed my own set about 12" off center. Sent the students out into the house and had them vote on which side of center it was. They could not decide, and thus center stage was moved 12" to the stage right side for a month...

chausman, TimMc, tjrobb and 2 others like this.
  4. microstar

microstar Well-Known Member

Lighting/Sound/Video installation/repair
    I have a true "coffee stain" story. In graduate school (way way back) the scene shop foreman had it in for one of the student scenic designers. At a production meeting the designer proudly presented a model of his design for "To Kill a Mockingbird". He had cut down a Folger's Coffee can to use as a base for the abstract sculpture of the tree in the play. The wise faculty advisor first asked how big was the sculpture. Everyone looked to the student designer, who was shocked at the question because he had failed to include a human figure as a reference.
    The advisor picked up a C-cell battery laying on the table and placed it next to the sculpture and asked "If the battery is a person, is the scale correct?" The scale was established and the meeting eventually ended. This only served as fuel for the shop foreman, because the designer did not submit any drawings for the sculpture because he intended the shop to build this using the model for measurements.

As the build got under way, you can by now pretty much guess what happened. The shop foreman announced that we were to build the unit EXACTLY according to the model, including the base of course, which scaled out to about 3 feet tall and was painted to EXACTLY match the Folger's Coffee can. The finished unit was trucked to the theatre with the rest of the set and installed on stage. As we were finishing up, the designer and the director walked in to survey the progress. The look on the designer's face was priceless. The director looked a little quizzical and then said "Do you think you could take about a foot off the height of the base?". Eventually that was done, the base repainted black, and the show opened.

Mockingbird.jpeg

5. tjrobb

tjrobb Well-Known Member

Not quite a legend, but I once was told I needed to work on the painting since the set "wasn't ugly enough". [Kitchen for The Odd Couple]

bobgaggle and RonHebbard like this.
  6. What Rigger?

What Rigger? I'm so fly....I Neverland.

Part rigger, part bouncer. All machine.
    My favorite myth: micro-fractures in shackles and carabiners.

7. gafftapegreenia

gafftapegreenia CBMod CB Mods

Fabricator
    As Rick Boychuk so convincingly argues in his book, modern stage rigging DID NOT descend from sailing ships.

What Rigger?, JohnD and RonHebbard like this.
  8. RonaldBeal

RonaldBeal Active Member

Myth: Gobo means "Goes before objective" or "Go Blackout".

Reality:
    The term was originally a shortened version of "Go Between" for Thomas Alva Edisons phonograph recording process as a way to moderate sound levels when recording to wax cylinders. Eventually some of those same people that helped the Edison company with recordings also worked in the Edison film studio and put patterns between their fancy new electric lights and scenery while shooting film scenes, and "gobo" was appropriated for lighting since the pattern "goes between" the light and the scenery. (Some of the first film fixtures were open face Edison lamps, and there was no "objective" for gobos to "go before")

9. RonHebbard

RonHebbard Well-Known Member Premium Member

@RonaldBeal If you keep this up, you're going to have to add 'Historian' to the list of credits on your tagline.
    Toodleoo!
    Ron Hebbard

10. JohnD

JohnD Well-Known Member Fight Leukemia

Also, as a historical reminder, before there were companies making custom gobos the lighting companies were selling discs of decorative perforated steel.
    Perforated%20Group%20New.jpg

RonHebbard likes this.
  11. jayvee

jayvee Active Member

I have employed both Grecian and Full Clover to excellent effect many times.

eadler, derekleffew and RonHebbard like this.
  12. RonHebbard

RonHebbard Well-Known Member Premium Member

@jayvee and @JohnD Likewise; often as break-ups in conjunction with diagonally-split gels operated slightly out of focus for a sunlight / moonlight through the trees look. (Oh the old days before luminaires with cooler gate temperatures.)
    Toodleoo!
    Ron Hebbard

13. Smayniac

Smayniac Member

I recently had a designer come in from overseas with Gobos of this sort, cut to fit a source four and bent on a brake to create a handle, no holder required

gafftapegreenia, RonHebbard and JohnD like this.
  14. bobgaggle

Shop Foreman
    I believe Grecian is still commonly used for radiator covers. Rather, when I was in college they replaced all the radiator covers in our old 1900s theater, and all the lighting guys grabbed the old ones, ripped out the perforated metal and used it for break-ups...

RonHebbard and JohnD like this.
  15. bobgaggle

Shop Foreman
    Don't think I've heard this one...

RonHebbard likes this.
  16. TheaterEd

TheaterEd Renaissance Man Fight Leukemia

Regardless. No Whistling In The Theater!!!!

RonHebbard likes this.
  17. Mac Hosehead

Mac Hosehead Well-Known Member

A soon-to-become legend: "Washing the gels". I am old enough to have played that prank.

RonHebbard likes this.