n00b question: DMX Termination

DC Transformers exist now? (No offence intended, just curious as to what you define as the DC transformer...)

How do you imagine the internal circuitry of the dimmer to function - on 240V AC mains (or whatever you use over there 120V)?

Things such as the DMX circuitry/internal electronics are DC powered. There is a transformer on each phase (in most dimmers), Phase "A" could go to DMX circuitry, Phase "B" could power the internal software, etc. Therefore only a minute amount of total power from any phase is used.

How do you imagine the internal circuitry of the dimmer to function - on 240V AC mains (or whatever you use over there 120V)?
Things such as the DMX circuitry/internal electronics are DC powered. There is a transformer on each phase (in most dimmers), Phase "A" could go to DMX circuitry, Phase "B" could power the internal software, etc. Therefore only a minute amount of total power from any phase is used.

Over there? I'm 1000km south of you...

It is my understanding that the entire internal circuitry's power draw is minimal, and so all the internal circuitry runs off, i believe, Phase A, via a single transformer. I think it is for that reason that the service dept. of my local sound company has an adaptor with a 32 amp 3 phase socket and a single 10 amp plug for the testing & servicing dimmer packs.

No Probs. I make the assumption that people are from the states unless they disclose a location otherwise. (Why can't I post a message shorter than 10 characters?)

Yes, a bad solder joint coming off the Phase A DC transformer in one of my dimmers recently caused it to drop Phase A whenever DMX was input. :rolleyes:

:evil:

Actually my reference to a bad solder connection was at the dmx connector. But you are correct that a poor power supply connection can cause Phase variance < oooh that sounded technical> which will ultimately throw weird wqave forms into the mix. You would be amazed the number of times I've seen connections that consisted of someone warming some solder on the back of a pin and shoving in a clump of wire. That is not how you solder. They should teach classes on soldering. Every poor solder connection, every bit of oxidation on a pin or sleeve, can cause a reflection in the signal. What we need are lasers like the optical couplers on sound gear,that might reduce the feedback. Or we could get lasers and mount them on sharks.........

It is my understanding that the entire internal circuitry's power draw is minimal, and so all the internal circuitry runs off, i believe, Phase A, via a single transformer. I think it is for that reason that the service dept. of my local sound company has an adaptor with a 32 amp 3 phase socket and a single 10 amp plug for the testing & servicing dimmer packs.

What was I thinking? Of course there needs to be a transformer of each phase. Otherwise, the dimmer can't sync itself to the mains waveform on each phase.

;)

And just to get past the ten character limit, I shall type this sentence.

:neutral:

I enjoy the error message

"
The following errors occurred when this message was submitted:
1. The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.
2. The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

"

wow it is like that point is realy trying to be reinforced.

JH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back