Nady PS115 crossover

Fredr1

I have a pair of Nady PS115 speakers one of which has a blown crossover. They have been replaced once before while still under warranty. I am not sure what crossover to order to replace the bad crossover, but I was curious if anyone can recommend what to order to upgrade speakers, crossovers, tweeters(plastic) for the decent cabinets. Would it be beneficial or throw these away and just purchase two complete sets.
500 watt peak and 250 watt rms

Hi everybody, name is fred and new to the community. I'm hoping to find answers to a couple of questions and would like your recommendations.

1. Replacement crossover for Nady PS115 speakers. or upgrade crossover that can be used.
2. Are there upgrades that I can get for this speaker 500 Watt peak and 250 watt rms? Speakers are good but crossover seem to be bad.

Recommendations: The cabinets are in great condition so was wondering if I should just replace speakers, tweeter and crossover but not sure what to get, any ideas. (Low budget)

If you're electronically inclined, pull the crossover PCB out, identify the bad components, and replace them. In a speaker as cheap as the Nady's, I'd venture a guess that they're using a pretty simple crossover network without any novel features so unless the components have no usable part numbers or other identifiable/measurable characteristics, it shouldn't be too hard to fix.

You could also try contacting Nady to order a crossover directly from them, but they may or may not still support this model. Appears from a quick Google search like this model is discontinued.

Otherwise, I'd retire them. At $130/pop, they aren't worth much time, effort, or materials to repair. Push comes to shove though, you may be able to find another on the used market you can either use as a direct replacement or cannibalize for the crossover PCB.

If you're electronically inclined, pull the crossover PCB out, identify the bad components, and replace them. In a speaker as cheap as the Nady's, I'd venture a guess that they're using a pretty simple crossover network without any novel features so unless the components have no usable part numbers or other identifiable/measurable characteristics, it shouldn't be too hard to fix.

You could also try contacting Nady to order a crossover directly from them, but they may or may not still support this model. Appears from a quick Google search like this model is discontinued.

Otherwise, I'd retire them. At $130/pop, they aren't worth much time, effort, or materials to repair. Push comes to shove though, you may be able to find another on the used market you can either use as a direct replacement or cannibalize for the crossover PCB.
thank you, not sure if can repair

Let's start by establishing whether or not the crossover is actually "blown" as you indicate for certain in your other thread about the same thing. Why are you convinced they are blown? Have you opened up the cabinets to see if a connection is loose somewhere? If you are going to replace the crossover, I wouldn't throw just any board in there, I'd use whatever they were originally fitted with.

Let's start by establishing whether or not the crossover is actually "blown" as you indicate for certain in your other thread about the same thing. Why are you convinced they are blown? Have you opened up the cabinets to see if a connection is loose somewhere? If you are going to replace the crossover, I wouldn't throw just any board in there, I'd use whatever they were originally fitted with.
Okay, for starters I can only hear a faint sound coming from the tweeter. After opening the cabinet to see the coil from the crossover sitting at the bottom of the cabinet. Only one wire is connected to the crossover while the other side of the coil is tightly under the coil plastic reel with a very short piece of the coil wire exposed. I am not any kind of tech or anything but I was assuming that the end should be connected to either a + side or - am I correct? No sound is coming from the woofer. I am also wanting to know what to replace the crossover since Nady has been no help

Okay, for starters I can only hear a faint sound coming from the tweeter. After opening the cabinet to see the coil from the crossover sitting at the bottom of the cabinet. Only one wire is connected to the crossover while the other side of the coil is tightly under the coil plastic reel with a very short piece of the coil wire exposed. I am not any kind of tech or anything but I was assuming that the end should be connected to either a + side or - am I correct? No sound is coming from the woofer. I am also wanting to know what to replace the crossover since Nady has been no help

Would you be able to post a picture of it here, so we can see?

Frankly I'd replace the whole loudspeaker. Move up and move on from these sub-entry level boxes.

Would you be able to post a picture of it here, so we can see?
Each of the components show to be good if I used my meter correctly. The coil as you can see was laying at the bottom of the cabinet. The glue apparently did not hold as well, however as you see at the bottom of the spool which would be glued to the board there is a tiny exposed coil wire. Also, by looking the component board the diagram (L1) shows one end of the coil wire connected and nothing is connected to the other side according to the diagram on the board. If this is worth me attempting to repair I will certainly try otherwise I can either replace the crossover from Nady or junk the components and remount all of the inner workings into the cabinet. I do appreciate you looking at this for me. Please see attach

Attachments

• 20171024_125811.jpg
    20171024_125811.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 216
  • 20171024_125752.jpg
    20171024_125752.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 210
  • 20171024_125437.jpg
    20171024_125437.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 190

Users who are viewing this thread

Back