Name that followspot! (Capitol #1001)

If it was incandescent it was possibly to clean the lamp. After the globe started to blacken you would remove the lamp and rattle the powder around to reduce lumen loss by cleaning the globe. The new guy would often get a little violent and damage the filament. (FWIW, I am NOT speaking from experience. I was born well after halogen "replaced" incandescent).

That, or the darn thing lost so much tungsten it showed up in the globe...

Correct, jstandfast and tjrobb. The tungsten wire making up the filament of this and similar lamps was so thick that it hardly ever broke. But, as the tungsten molecules left the filament, they were deposited on the inside of the envelope, darkening it and severely decreasing light output (this was before the Halogen cycle).

t20mbp.jpg
https://www.interlight.biz/light-bulb/2100T24/8

In the early 1980s, I used Kliegl Linnebach projectors having this lamp.
248c77a.jpg248c77b.jpg
Kliegl made the projector from 1939 until at least 1977. (For the record, I don't remember this lamp haing the silica sand inside, but do remember others. Lamps for "Cannon" Lekos could not have the sand, as they were BBU±30.)

Back to the question of WHY this lamp for followspots and scenic projectors?

Last edited:
IMAG0118.jpgIMAG0117.jpgIMAG0116.jpgIMAG0115.jpgIMAG0114.jpgIMAG0113.jpgIMAG0119.jpgHi, trying to do some research on an vintage light I picked up, Its an old stage light that says Capitol Stage Lighting New York on it. Does anyone know where I could find some info on it, or how I could find a light bulb for it?
Thanks,
IMAG0119.jpg JRA

Curious if anyone can offer some info on this old "gem" :) I stumbled across a few of these at our local community theatre and was just curious about them. Not my photo, but found this online to show what I was looking for. The fixture itself doesn't have any labels or markings that I can find. Thanks!
proxy.php

Just joined this group as I came across a Capital spot light, marked New York City on the back.

I believe it to be some version of a "Quartzfollow" (which I fished out from one of these forums as a member posted this PDF page manual from the mid 60's early 70's)

Would like any more info if anyone has any. Seems like a pretty unusual spot light as I can't seem to find another one like it online.

Attachments

• Light1.jpg
    Light1.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 382
  • Light2.jpg
    Light2.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 408
  • CapitolStageLightingCatalogPage5-800.jpg
    CapitolStageLightingCatalogPage5-800.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 387
Missed that question but I'm Gen X, that has swilved the scoop lamps. Yea, from military... Imagine origional Golf war in prep to go to, the person that designed how we laid out our cannon parts about it to mil. spec... suddenly became my platoon Sgt. He was idiot/jerk and doubt he learned real verses this plan he laid out for what's necessary to have in presentation. Just say, I was out of the GYSGT "Cotton Club" on the first day. Long story - I won, but more especially my gun crew won.

When in college, following a snail mail letteer to Robert Altman, he at one point tracked me down to my dorm room in reaching me following a lack of 3.5 Leko parts I needed for a show shipped. Here i was college kid tracked down to dorm room, and on the phone the owner of Altman Stage lighting on the other end of the line...

He and his staff was inventing the Shakesphere at that time and he thoroughly aplogized for not having shipped the parts I needed in time for a show. For Robert Altman to take time to chat with a punk kid in college...

As impressive as at one point getting a few miuntes directly with Fred Foster during my Wife and I visit to ETC as per part of our vacation set up to visit ETC home factory many years ago. Complete tour.. Back than before we had a child...

I grew up in a high school in the same town as the last Hub electric location, and a brach of McMaster Carr. Never Knew that! My shop Manager was literally a draftsmen at Hub at the time, whie I was in highschool and he living a few blocks from me. Got to know and meet the last owner of Hub/Dimatronics/Major etc. before he closed down shop other than for repairs he was the engineer for. He had a Grand child in the local college and in visit local to see was in visit. Fallen out of touch, miss his visits and contacts.

You pre-Gen X'ers have a responsibility to pass on!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back