The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Name that followspot! (Capitol #1001)

Discussion in 'Technical Theatre History' started by derekleffew, Sep 11, 2010.

1. tjrobb

tjrobb Active Member

If it was incandescent it was possibly to clean the lamp. After the globe started to blacken you would remove the lamp and rattle the powder around to reduce lumen loss by cleaning the globe. The new guy would often get a little violent and damage the filament. (FWIW, I am NOT speaking from experience. I was born well after halogen "replaced" incandescent).

That, or the darn thing lost so much tungsten it showed up in the globe...

2. derekleffew

derekleffew Resident Curmudgeon Senior Team Premium Member

Correct, [USER]jstandfast[/USER] and tjrobb. The tungsten wire making up the filament of this and similar lamps was so thick that it hardly ever broke. But, as the tungsten molecules left the filament, they were deposited on the inside of the envelope, darkening it and severely decreasing light output (this was before the Halogen cycle).

t20mbp.jpg
    https://www.interlight.biz/light-bulb/2100T24/8

In the early 1980s, I used Kliegl Linnebach projectors having this lamp.
    248c77a.jpg 248c77b.jpg
    Kliegl made the projector from 1939 until at least 1977. (For the record, I don't remember this lamp haing the silica sand inside, but do remember others. Lamps for "Cannon" Lekos could not have the sand, as they were BBU±30.)

Back to the question of WHY this lamp for followspots and scenic projectors?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
    RonHebbard likes this.
  3. STEVETERRY

STEVETERRY Well-Known Member

No, and no.

ST

RonHebbard likes this.
  4. STEVETERRY

STEVETERRY Well-Known Member

Precisely.

ST

RonHebbard likes this.
  5. jra

jra Member

IMAG0118.jpg IMAG0117.jpg IMAG0116.jpg IMAG0115.jpg IMAG0114.jpg IMAG0113.jpg IMAG0119.jpg Hi, trying to do some research on an vintage light I picked up, Its an old stage light that says Capitol Stage Lighting New York on it. Does anyone know where I could find some info on it, or how I could find a light bulb for it?
    Thanks,
    IMAG0119.jpg JRA

6. derekleffew

derekleffew Resident Curmudgeon Senior Team Premium Member

7. kydrus

kydrus Member

Curious if anyone can offer some info on this old "gem" :) I stumbled across a few of these at our local community theatre and was just curious about them. Not my photo, but found this online to show what I was looking for. The fixture itself doesn't have any labels or markings that I can find. Thanks! [​IMG]

8. sk8rsdad

sk8rsdad Well-Known Member Premium Member Fight Leukemia

It's a fresnel, maybe a Strand Patt.45. It would be similar vintage to the Patt.23s hanging nearby.

9. ErickP

ErickP New Member

Just joined this group as I came across a Capital spot light, marked New York City on the back.

I believe it to be some version of a "Quartzfollow" (which I fished out from one of these forums as a member posted this PDF page manual from the mid 60's early 70's)

Would like any more info if anyone has any. Seems like a pretty unusual spot light as I can't seem to find another one like it online.

Attached Files:

10. JonCarter

JonCarter Active Member

The powder was tungsten to clean the bulb. The "box" was a 120V-60V transformer. The purpose of the lower voltage lamp (60V 2100W) was 1) stronger filament, and 2) SMALLER filament for better optical performance. (Closer approximation to a point source.)

I've enjoyed the newbies' comments.

RonHebbard likes this.