Name that Lamp Socket?

I received these lamp sockets from a fellow high school TD. I was mainly interested in the twist lock connectors because there seem to be quite a few schools that use twist lock rather than stage pin and Im trying to donate some older lighting gear to help some of these schools out.

Anyway, he also gave me these lamp sockets and I have no idea what make or model of lighting instrument they came out of. He said they were old and he didn't need them anymore.

Anyone?

Attachments

• IMG_5152.JPG
    IMG_5152.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_5155.JPG
    IMG_5155.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_5154.JPG
    IMG_5154.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_5153.JPG
    IMG_5153.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 190
Those are from a Source Four PAR. Probably earlier vintage or an MCM model given the lack of a 750W sticker. Also looks like it's missing the keying for the 750W lamps, which would indicate you can't put a higher wattage lamp in it than an HPL575.

Not worthless if you know someone who runs their S4 PAR's at 575W, assuming the sockets aren't corroded. At least the one pictured appears to be missing the brass screw that holds the cap to the fixture. Not super valuable either though.

Anyway, he also gave me these lamp sockets
The lamp socket is a part of the lamp cap or burn base assembly. I agree with the above that they're probably first generation SourceFour PAR, but more likely EA rather than MCM.

Yes, twistlock L5-20 is/was maybe more popular in educational facilities than 2P&G stagepin. The topic has been debated here many times.

The lamp socket is a part of the lamp cap or burn base assembly. I agree with the above that they're probably first generation SourceFour PAR, but more likely EA rather than MCM.

Yes, twistlock L5-20 is/was maybe more popular in educational facilities than 2P&G stagepin. The topic has been debated here many times.

Id also say that L5-20 is far more standard in Canada in general. Almost never see 2P&G.

Good point, @microstar . If I'm not mistaken, the S4-PAR came out in 1995, a mere 22 years ago.
I have socks older than that.:angryoldman: (R.I.P., Don Rickles.)

Hey ETC! Your history link http://www.etcconnect.com/minisite/sourcefour/history.html is broken (and out-dated)!:(

https://shop.etcconnect.com/source-four-mcm-par-lamp-burner-assembly-black/
ETC MSRP $71.60. Uses 375 or 575 lamps only, NOT for 750W.

It's good to have a couple extras, as the sockets (~ $12) do wear out and it's much easier and convenient to swap in the entire assembly on stage and then replace the bad socket at one's leisure in the shop. Your sockets, as best one can tell from the pictures, appear to be fine.

@stagebuilder , they're valuable to someone. Put them on eBay if you're allowed, and start a slush fund for more critical (to you) items.

Never a fan of L5-20, at least on cables. They roll when you step on them leaving you butt planted on the floor. For some odd reason, I've also had more of them burn over the years then stage pin. My theory is that you never know when the contacts have lost their grip. Stage pin contacts are more visual and easier to adjust. Plenty of other threads, so I'll leave it at that.

I actually need one of those for a recycles S4 PAR we acquired. Since we are poser limited, I only use 575w lamps. PM me if you want to sell/trade!

-luke

Why back in the "olden days" we used to replace the wiring and drill out that pin hole for the 750 watt version to work. That was back in the olden days before I had a running museum w/o at this point a 575w lamp cap un-modified or replaced for 750w to museum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back