Narrow Beam LED R or PAR Lamps for Ceiling Cans?

microstar

I'm working on a church project with existing incandescent ceiling cans in a 29' high ceiling. Has anyone found a medium screw base LED R or PAR lamp with a 20-25 degree spread that will work in the enclosed can that re-lamps from the top?
Would prefer dimmable but could go to non-dimmable for a quality lamp with enough brightness. Not interested in replacing the cans.

If you want good performance - color and dimming - RLED deserves sampling. Several sizes, any base, any spread. http://rledlighting.com/
For a simpler with significantly less dimming ability and you need to do the calc based on existing if bright enough, I've like TCP. http://www.tcpi.com/ I could be more specific if I knew what lamp you were replacing and if you needed all that it provided at full, or could do with any less.

Over the years, people have been replacing them with anything that has a medium screw base: R and PAR incandescent, halogen, 40 degree LED PAR floods, you name it. I've got someone trying to find the original lamp spec, but so far nothing. The goal is energy efficiency and brightness, neither of which is present now.
I've seen the rled stuff and it was quite impressive, but there are around 60 ceiling cans over the pews and chancel area, so the cost would be quite significant. I'll check out the tcpi link. Thanks!

Spacing is approx. 10' OC and the original lamps were 150 watt PAR38, beam spread unknown.
SanctCeiling1.JPG

Last edited:
I think you want a wider beam. For something like house lights more overlap between fixtures is good thing. It minimizes dark spots and shadowing.

For full pool overlap you would need a 20' pool, which at 29' requires a 38d beam. Wider would be better so a F40 or higher.

Just found some new dimmable GE LED PAR38's that have come out recently (last 3 on the list below). Trying to get a sample.

Screen shot 2017-06-16 at 1.53.52 PM.jpg

EdSavoie, I appreciate your comment on the GE lamps. Also thanks everyone else who took the time to offer suggestions.

I second the TCP lamps. If it's par38 you're looking for, this seems to fit the bill. On an ELV dimmer these will dim to about 10%.
LED17P38D30KFL Dimmable 17W Smooth PAR38 - 3000K 40º

Another company I've been specifying alot recently are Green Creative.
The PAR38-E26-17W-3000K-40
is comparable to the TCP. Slightly brighter and smoother beam. Similar dimming.

Last edited:
After careful consideration, I'm going to give the GE 250 watt equivalent LED32DP38W830/40 Dimmable LED PAR38 a test. Hope to use the Fleenor DMX8DIM 8x250 watt dimmers as presently there are no dimmers installed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back