Nascent power consumption on a shoebox dimmer pak?

I've a lighting designer who's want's to put some fixtures into wagons that can't have power going to them. She's planning a car battery, 500w inverter and shoebox dimmer with wireless dmx. I can't find nascent power consumption info on the elation dimmers I have but I assume that the inverter's need to be rated for something beyond the fixture consumptiion. Also, I assume that the inverters have to produce pure sine wave or the dimmers may complain.

Does anyone have any insight on this problem? Alternative way's of accomplishing the task?

Assume the inverter has an 80% efficiency, i.e. the draw from your battery, after adjusting for voltage (you need 10x the Amps as 12V that you need at 120V).

You are correct that most dimmers require a true sine wave to operate correctly.

It’s preferably to do this all in low voltage without inverters. We have provided equipment for this purpose for almost 3 decades.

What kinds of lighting do you need on these wagons?

Jim
RC4 Wireless
www.rc4wireless.com

You should listen to Jim. He’s He king of low voltage and wireless stuff.

Assume the inverter has an 80% efficiency, i.e. the draw from your battery, after adjusting for voltage (you need 10x the Amps as 12V that you need at 120V).

You are correct that most dimmers require a true sine wave to operate correctly.

It’s preferably to do this all in low voltage without inverters. We have provided equipment for this purpose for almost 3 decades.

Jim
RC4 Wireless
www.rc4wireless.com
Excellent question Jim, I've asked for clarification and will be in touch.

Regarding the pack. Only adds about 5 watts. Solid state dimmers are about 97% efficient under load, and that 3% is not additive, just will subtract a bit of the waveform and a little bit of heat from the choke. So, the only thing drawing is a bit of current for the firing circuit, and the LED display. That 5 watts gets consumed if your dimmer output is 0% or 100%.

Jim
RC4 Wireless
www.rc4wireless.com
Jim, I have emailed more info to "[email protected]".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back